Duplication Deleting from CloudDrive

jak64950

Question

Hello,

So I have Drivepool and CloudDrive set up with my local pool and CloudDrive pool under a "master" pool so that a have one copy on the cloud and certain copies on my local storage. On the master pool, I have the local pool checked for only duplicated data, and the CloudDrive pool checked for only unduplicated data. Before I set up Drivepool's duplication, I was using GoodSync to sync any data I wanted to be saved locally. Drivepool apparently has to make its own "duplicate" as it cannot tell one already exists, which is fine, as it just overwrites my old file.

When looking at the master pools duplication settings, it says something like 2TB duplicated data on the CloudDrive pool and 500GB duplicated data on the local pool. Does that mean if I disable duplication on the files contained in that 500GB, it will delete the "duplicate" from my CloudDrive instead of local? This is definitely not wanted as I would have to re-upload any deleted data. Maybe I overlooked a setting?

6 answers to this question

That would do it. :)
And glad to hear that it was a simple issue. 

I guess my final question is, the local pool is showing a small amount of unduplicated files (like 20GB). Since the local pool should only hold duplicated files, will Drivepool balance this unduplicated data onto the cloud pool? And follow up, if I disable duplication, will Drivepool delete the cloud copy and have to rebalance later, or does it know to delete the copy on the local pool?

Enable "Pool File Duplication",  Then make sure that in "Folder Duplication" that no folder has a "+" next to it.

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File Protection

Usage limiter.PNG

To clarify here, you'd want "duplicated" enabled on both pools, or you'll have issues. 
Duplicated refers to "any file that has a copy on another disk".  So any duplicated data on this pool will be on both disks, so both disks will have duplicated data.  Eg, we don't differentiate the copies. Both are "master" copies, and either can and will be used.

Unchecking the option means that it will "degrade" the pool condition and want to balance the data more aggressively.

Could you post some screenshots of what you mean? 

On 6/5/2018 at 6:43 AM, jak64950 said:

Drivepool apparently has to make its own "duplicate" as it cannot tell one already exists, which is fine, as it just overwrites my old file.

StableBit DrivePool places all the files in the hidden "poolpart" folder of each drive.  Duplicated data is placed on 2 different drives, and only shows up on the Pool once.

Ok, images attached. What I am asking is, shouldn't all the "duplicated" files be in the Cloud Pool? I know you've said somewhere that there really are no duplicates, but if/when I disable duplication Drivepool will have to decide which pool to delete one copy from. As long as I have the usage limiter for all unduplicated files be on the Cloud pool, then it should delete the copy on the local pool?

As for the overwriting, as you can see it is making a duplicate on my local pool even though that exact file was already there (duplicated with goodsync vice drivepool), if that makes sense. In other words, every file I want duplicated already exists on both cloud pool and local pool, but (even after placing all the files in the hidden folders) Drivepool will still overwrite existing files to make duplicates. Again, this isn't a big deal.

Cloud.png

Local.png

Overwrite.png

Usage limiter.PNG

Well, I'm kind of an idiot. I guess I never remeasured after moving all my files into Drivepool. Now both pools are showing the exact same duplication (which I guess makes sense since each file is duplicated across each other) and Drivepool is no longer overwriting my files.

I guess my final question is, the local pool is showing a small amount of unduplicated files (like 20GB). Since the local pool should only hold duplicated files, will Drivepool balance this unduplicated data onto the cloud pool? And follow up, if I disable duplication, will Drivepool delete the cloud copy and have to rebalance later, or does it know to delete the copy on the local pool?