Pulling my hair out with the most basic setup

MiL0

Question

WHS2011 running on a HP Proliant Microserver with 2 x 4TB hard disks and a separate boot drive. Latest version of DrivePool.

I bought DrivePool as a way to automatically mirror my 4TB hard disk to a 2nd 4TB hard disk. The drive pool functionality was a secondary benefit (as I plan to add further disks to the pool).

For the past 2 weeks I've been trying to get the mirroring working properly. My understanding is that there a hidden folder on each physical drive, marked PoolPart.*. These folders, combined, contain the DrivePool (which manifests itself as a virtual hard disk).

But try as I might, I can't get the duplication functionality to work properly. I copy all my data directly into the virtual DrivePool hard disk and wait. I then check the PoolPart.* folders - on the first hard disk, everything is there. But the 2nd hard disk is missing most of the data. I've tried fiddling with the balancing settings, remeasuring, etc but I can't get the data to be 100% duplicated across both physical hard disks.

Have I purchased the wrong software for my needs? All I want is perfect file mirroring across two physical disks... when I copy a file to the DrivePool, it should be duplicated across both physical disks without any intervention.

Can anyone help? (sorry for the n00b'y'ness - I've genuinely tried everything!)

5 answers to this question

yep - it's set to "duplicate files in realtime (default)"

I think the most frustrating aspect of using DrivePool in WHS2011 is that all the help guides show completely different screenshots for desktop versions of Windows.

Is there any way to configure DrivePool via the normal setup screens?

Did you go and setup the individual folders that you want to be duplicated. 

Pool Options > File protections > Folder duplication

Note: I don't think the above  is available in WHS2011 nevermind

Is there any way to configure DrivePool via the normal setup screens?

Don't install the whs version and use the version for win7 instead.  You won't have the dashboard and will have to RDP to use it or use the remote opton.  You will also have to setup shares manually.

ah that's perfect... the WHS version is an older version!

that is really confusing... the main site should make it clear that you don't get 2.x unless you install the non-WHS version (or at least it should state that ver2.x works with WHS)