Request -- Better Duplication Settings

jak64950

Question

Hello,

So I'm running a 100TB plex server with only 60TB of local storage and would like to duplicate only certain folders from my clouddrives to local. So for example let's say I want 1000 of my 3000 movies on the local storage. As far as I can tell (and what I've been doing) is going one by one through each folder and setting duplication. Even just being able to select multiple folders or having a config file would be a great improvement to the current system.

13 answers to this question

17 hours ago, jak64950 said:

Hello,

So I'm running a 100TB plex server with only 60TB of local storage and would like to duplicate only certain folders from my clouddrives to local. So for example let's say I want 1000 of my 3000 movies on the local storage. As far as I can tell (and what I've been doing) is going one by one through each folder and setting duplication. Even just being able to select multiple folders or having a config file would be a great improvement to the current system.

Does Plex run locally or remotely or both? Which cloud provider? 

Though I agree that having the ability built-in to DrivePool would be awesome I was in a similar situation way back when I wanted to do a similar thing. Though in my case it was simply all on a local basis, but the same principle of only wanting to duplicate certain movies. 

What I found the easiest way was to create and then move the movies to a separate folder. In your case in the native client of your cloud provider.

Something like Movies (being the original location) & Duplicated Movies (the newly created location). In Gdrive for example, this takes a couple of minutes as it's just drag and drop. 

EDIT: Oh wait. I'm guessing that you are perhaps using Stablebit CloudDrive itself and therefore when looking at your native cloud provider client, the files are encrypted and unreadable to the naked eye? In which case I'm sorry for wasting your time. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, If that's the case someone else will be able to help as I already had far too much unencrypted data on Gdrive to make use of CloudDrive when it was launched. 

@Dave Hobson  I am in fact using stablebit clouddrive. I'm pretty sure I could still do what you are mentioning but it would kinda complicate my system. I actually have two plex servers, one on linux (plexdrive) and one on windows (Stablebit CloudDrive), each hosting from different cloud accounts which I sync using goodsync. Adding extra folders and moving stuff around would mess with my scripts on linux and throw everything off. Thanks for the suggestion though.

6 hours ago, jak64950 said:

@Dave Hobson  I am in fact using stablebit clouddrive. I'm pretty sure I could still do what you are mentioning but it would kinda complicate my system. I actually have two plex servers, one on linux (plexdrive) and one on windows (Stablebit CloudDrive), each hosting from different cloud accounts which I sync using goodsync. Adding extra folders and moving stuff around would mess with my scripts on linux and throw everything off. Thanks for the suggestion though.

No worries. Out of curiosity are you using torrents/newsgroups or is all your media self-ripped? 

If torrents,  I moved away from syncing media when I discovered Sonarr & Radarr. Now one download client can send the files to my local server and up to my Gdrive. 

Anyways sorry, I'm getting off topic. Hope you find a solution.

15 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

newsgroups is the way to go .... for most stuff. 

That said, a "multiselect" option would be best here? 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27841

And duplication isn't stored/configured by a text file or anything on the local system. The duplication settings are stored on the actual pooled disks, as Alternate data streams. 

Personally, I have no love for scene releases..but hey.

Love the idea of multi-select. I wish it was implemented in far more apps/utilities than it is. 

Veering off topic again. I just noticed your server specs particularly your storage drives.... and I thought I was the only person in the world who loved Seagates.  :P

How are the 8TB Barracudas? I just had two delivered today but haven't put them into service yet. 

45 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

That said, a "multiselect" option would be best here? 

Yes, multi-select would be awesome.

22 minutes ago, Dave Hobson said:

and I thought I was the only person in the world who loved Seagates

I have 4 10TB IronWolf's and they are great...just a tad expensive.

2 minutes ago, jak64950 said:

I have 4 10TB IronWolf's and they are great...just a tad expensive.

Yeah, the 10TB are a little too high in price especially here in the U.K. 

I was just curious though. It only seems like a couple of years ago that everyone seemed to be suggesting never to use Seagates and to go with WD.

Personally, I currently have 19 mechanical drives. All 19 are Seagate. As storage sizes increased and I upgraded I guess I would have owned around 40 Seagates over the years. I think I have had two Seagate drives die over the last 10-15  years. Whereas both the WD's I have owned died within 3 to 4 years. 

Is this working correctly?

I typed in dpcmd set-duplication "S:/Media Server/Movies/xXx (2002)" 1

Response: Duplication count set to 1 on '\\?\S:\Media Server\Movies\xXx (2002)\'.

It doesn't update in the UI though. What would be the format for multiple folders?

So I have the main folder (Movies) set to x2 duplication and I want about 2000 items within that folder set to no (x1) duplication. The terminal verifies the duplication count is changed but this doesn't seem to be the case. I closed and reopened the UI and still no change.

Screenshot (4).png