Running out of RAM

Roger79

Question

Hi! I'm slowly running out of RAM on my NUC6 which I use as a server, and I wonder if someone else is having the same issue. I have tried to close all of my services and apps that is running, and now even a fresh install of windows 10 1803 didn't help in stopping the memory fill. I Have 8GB of RAM and a 52TB pool.  There are no apps or services that are reporting a huge memory use in task manager. I have no available memory in the memory tab, only memory set a side for later use, and it is shrinking. I also see a higher cpu usage than normal and constant writing to my system disk. Any suggestions on how to fix this is appreciated.

Roger.

11 answers to this question

Hi! My server is now using 95% of its RAM and I've attached a few pictures of my running apps and services. No single app or service stands out when it comes to RAM usage. 

PS: For those who wonder, the language in "Performance Monitor.png" is Norwegian.

CPU usage.png

Performance Monitor.png

Private Bytes-HighLow.png

System Commit-Physical Memory.png

Working Set-HighLow.png

In my home I have several computers that use files from my server. One that is keeping a large number of files open is my HTPC with Kodi running. Whenever this computer is running I get 1030 files opened in the Performance-tab in my DrivePool-app.

I can confirm the memory leak issue exists while running the latest DrivePool release v2.2.1.926 on a fully patched Server 2016 Standard, as well as Server v1803 Core.  Normal operating circumstances see active RAM usage between 1.9Gb-2.7Gb. However, with DrivePool v2.2.1.926 installed, 8Gb of RAM is fully consumed within 10hrs of operation, and after increasing the system to 16Gb of RAM, complete RAM usage occurred within 18hrs of boot.

Immediately following the uninstallation of v2.2.1.926, reboot and installation of v2.1.1.561, server system performance is fully restored and the memory issue is fully resolved.

As Roger79 has indicated, discovery of the root cause of the memory leak isn't exactly straightforward, as all attempts to qualify the culprit process (using ProcExp.exe, Poolmon.exe, RAMMap.exe, etc) have proven not to be immediately useful. 

I'd be find using v2.1.1.561, however, a bug in this version prevents me from activating my license.

No, it's a "number of files open" triggered issue.  For me, it really got bad every time Emby scanned the pool. 
I even have a friend with nearly identical config (but nowhere near the amount of data), and he didn't have this issue.  

So ... it's very dependant on the system and config. 

And I am running Server 2012R2 Essentials.