How to get compatible with SnapRAID?

Jaga

Question

Running into some issues getting CloudDrive and SnapRAID compatible.  I am keeping any cloud drive I create on one of the drives that also holds a poolpart folder.  The cloudpart folder resides in the root of the drive, just like the poolpart.  The cloud drive is added to my DrivePool and set for duplicated data only, and I don't have any data being duplicated to it (it's essentially empty).

What I'm seeing is issues when I go to run my SnapRAID job.  I tell the script to stop the CloudDrive service first, then sync, then compute parity on new changes, then re-start the CloudDrive service.  That usually ends up in parity issues, as *something* somehow changes in the cloudpart folder (4 files inevitably change during the space of stopping/restarting the service).  That makes the scrub job that SnapRAID runs throw errors, and it marks the blocks bad for those 4 files.

I also just tried running the SnapRAID sync/scrubnew jobs without stopping the CloudDrive service first, and that ended up bluescreening the server and dismounting the cloud drive after a reboot.  I'm going to try again with a smaller/more manageable cloud drive.

Are there any recommended procedures to get CloudDrive working with a runtime parity compute, such that it won't alter it's own files for a minimum period of time?  Is it actually changing it's files even when the service is stopped?

4 answers to this question

Well, anything inside the cloudpart directory honestly.  I was a bit stunned to see anything in that directory change after the CloudDrive service was stopped.  It put a monkey wrench in SnapRAID's parity calculations, since the changes happened in-between the sync pass and the scrub pass (each typically takes 12+ minutes with normal daily changes to my pool on the same drives).

I am more than happy to try it again (adding a Cloud drive, stopping the service, running a sync and then a new-scrub) if you think nothing in there is -supposed- to change while the service is stopped.  But I don't know how else bits would have been altered, unless it's something Windows 10 is doing to that folder/file structure on it's own.  My assumption is that when the CloudDrive service is stopped, all information is flushed to disk, the disk is unmounted, and no further activity happens to the cloudpart folder.

Second test on this with a small 1GB Cloud drive seems to be behaving better.  No errors being thrown by SnapRAID's sync/newscrub cycle.  I think perhaps there's some activity still transpiring even after the service is shut down (very short-term afterwards) which was giving it issues.

For reference, I am -not- stopping the service for these recent SnapRAID runs.  The Cloud drive simply has nothing on it, and nothing to do at that time of the night.

Going to re-make a larger 100GB Cloud drive and duplicate some data onto it, and see what the cycle does in the morning.