Drives reported as incorrect size?

psykix

Question

9 answers to this question

Trying to copy one of those out of the pool elsewhere or trying to play some of the media files results in error 0x80070057 the parameter is incorrect.

Everything just feels a little flaky at the moment.

One other thing.. I converted the drives from AHCI to individual RAID 0 arrays, and passed them through as RDM to the VM. Previously this would prevent S.M.A.R.T. reporting, but that now works. Did something change?

EDIT: Weirdly, I can copy and paste the problem files around the pool, but not from the pool to another drive.

This is the release version?  If so, there is a bug that causes this issue with drive size.

Try this version: http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3178_BETA.exe

As for the file errors, that's unrelated here, but is still an issue.  I think you posted this in a ticket. 
From what I can tell, this is a permissions issue.  If it is, then do the following:

I've blown away my ESXi 6.7 (the performance on my Gen8 was abysmal, and no idea why).

Changed the drives back to AHCI and reinstalled Windows 10 on bare metal. Now all my files are fine again.

No idea what the issue was with VMWare, but I did send you all the logs, maybe you could take a look when you get a boredom moment!

I'll add to the ticket, because in my haste I forgot to deactivate the licenses - doh!

Cheers :-)

Oh, and just to add. I was using the beta version of the scanner.

On the reinstall with the same version, the drives are reported as the correct size.

Something really whacky with that ESXi 6.7 (I've used VMWare in the past on this Gen8 without issues)

Yeah.. I put it all down to ESXi 6.7 - have never used that version before, but have used 6.5U2 and that was fine.

6.7 is very very odd. Performance all over the place.

Main reason for running VMWare is that I run an SSD in the ODD bay, and 4 x 4TB drives in the bays. This means that to boot from the ODD into Windows 10, then I need to use a SD card fudge. That works great, but every time there is a major Windows update then it fails to install because it thinks I am trying to install onto a USB drive. Have to remove the drives in the bays, boot into windows, update windows, redo the SD card and then put the drives back into the bays.

What a faff!!

Yeah, that's .... wow. 

And yeah, 6.7 appears to have dropped support for a bunch of CPUs, include the gen8's.  So I think it's depending on newer CPU instructions.  So the lack of may have caused issues.  Or just lacked proper driver support. 

As for the hardware config.... eeeew.  I mean, it's great when it works, but .... yeah....  Not even close to pleasant.