SB Scanner SMART Warning High Load Cycle Count

vraM

Question

Hi all. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with my fairly new Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB drives. SMART data indicates that these (2) drives may failure because of high Load Cycle Counts. The drives have been in service for 284 days and are showing Load Cycle Counts in excess of 300,000. I also have installed 1.5 and 3.0 Seagate drives that have been in service for 300 days, and show less than 900 Load Cycle Counts.

Drive info was submitted to Bitfrock.

Should I be concerned or do you think the SMART algorithm is messed up?

--vram

HP N40L, 4GB, 120 SSD, 11.5 TB hdd

WHS 2011, Stablebit Scanner and Drivepool, LightsOut

6 answers to this question

It really depends.

It could be a "dud" drive. One that just isn't as good quality.

However, if the LCC is the only issue, and is the only thing that is climbing, then you may be fine. Unless it's drastically shot up recently. If that is the case, then it could indicate an issue with the drive.

That, and if it's a lot of short burst of activity with periods of idling, then that could cause the count to increase rapidly as well.

Worst case, the disk should still be under warranty, and you could RMA it if you are especially concerned about it's health/integrity.

But from Wikipedia:

Count of load/unload cycles into head landing zone position.
The typical lifetime rating for laptop (2.5-in) hard drives is 300,000 to 600,000 load cycles. Some laptop drives are programmed to unload the heads whenever there has not been any activity for about five seconds. Many Linux installations write to the file system a few times a minute in the background. As a result, there may be 100 or more load cycles per hour, and the load cycle rating may be exceeded in less than a year.