Just trying out the trial, couple of questions

phunkb

Question

Hi guys

1. Is there an option to set an upload limit, when StableBit CloudDrive is open I can see it's using 100% of my upload, as I have just added files to my Cloud Drive, can this be tamed back a bit?
  2. When I copy something or cut it, from a physical HDD to my cloud drive- I get the normal windows file transfer, is this directly uploading, or does it sit locally and then upload? Just curious, as what happens if I copy something that's larger than the remaining space on my physical HDD? If its directly uploading I guess this negates that worry?
  3. Do I need to keep the stablebit drive window open? In Windows, if I close it, I cant see an icon in my taskbar (though admittedly I haven't looked for a background service yet, I will do that now but leave the question)

That's it for now! thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

On 5/16/2018 at 10:26 AM, phunkb said:
  • Is there an option to set an upload limit, when StableBit CloudDrive is open I can see it's using 100% of my upload, as I have just added files to my Cloud Drive, can this be tamed back a bit?

Yes and no.  An amount, no. But you can set the upload bandwidth usage.  75mbps hits about 700GB in 24 hours. 

(ask my why I know this off the top of my head) 

• When I copy something or cut it, from a physical HDD to my cloud drive- I get the normal windows file transfer, is this directly uploading, or does it sit locally and then upload?

Cache then upload.  

https://stablebit.com/Support/CloudDrive/Manual?Section=The Local Cache

• Just curious, as what happens if I copy something that's larger than the remaining space on my physical HDD? If its directly uploading I guess this negates that worry?

If the single file is larger?  ... I'm not 100% certain, actually.  I think it will start the copy just fine. But .... 

For a bunch of small files.... it will start out fine.  However, if the total free space on the cache drive drops below 50GB, the software will start throttling the write speeds to the drive, and get increasingly aggressive about the throttling, as the free space diminishes.  

So ... you may see very slow writes, if the cache drive gets too full. 

Do I need to keep the stablebit drive window open? In Windows, if I close it, I cant see an icon in my taskbar (though admittedly I haven't looked for a background service yet, I will do that now but leave the question)

Nope.  Not at all.

All of our software runs as system services (or kernel drives), so they are running and active, even if you don't log into the system (awesome for servers or headless systems). 

If you run "services.msc", you'll see two services for StableBit CloudDrive, and one for StableBit DrivePool, and one for StableBit Scanner (if you have these installed). 

As for tray icons, we only use these for notifications. We don't leave anything there normally, as we don't like cluttering up the system try
(ugh, seriously, I have 20 icons in my system tray because too many products do this)