"Allow files to be placed on other disks if all the selected disks are this full:"

fattipants2016

Question

Is this File Placement option broken in 2.2.1.926?

I upgraded after updating windows to the 5-18 and now DP refuses to balance, (7.28TB could not be moved because a suitable destination could not be found.)

I've wiped my settings, and reconfigured them one at a time.

My configuration is identical to my still unresolved post, here

**Before I'm asked, I'm using this option to designate a specific drive to a particular folder, and once the drive is ~ 95% full, allow it to 'spill over' onto other drives.

If I actually select the other drives in file placement options, DP will start pulling files OFF of the designated HDD, which isn't what I want.

2 answers to this question

The previous issue was to do with the SSD optimiser migrating files to the SSD during balancing, rather than from one Archive disk to another.

Same issue xazz reports in their thread 'DP constantly fills and then empties my SSD'

Now my file placement rules, which had been working for months, stopped working with either the Windows or DP update.

There are multiple folders in the pool. There's a temporary folder, which gets sorted into folders A, B and C based on content.

Folders A, B and C have their own disks.

The desired (previously working) behavior is for A, B and C to be balanced only to their assigned disks, and if their assigned disk is >90% full, resume standard (least filled) balancin to the other disks.

Folder B has overflown it's assigned disk (months ago), and DP had been correctly sidestepping the placement rule, and balancing the excess files.

Now the "allow files to be placed on other disks.." rule no longer works.

I've sidestepped the issue by assigning a second disk to the folder, and using the SSD optimiser's 'ordered placement' function, but I'm effectly having to manually dictate file placement where I didn't have to before.