Current Pending Sector count 1?

WickedLlama

Question

Scanner told me i have a 1 bad sector count.  Any way for the software to repair it?

Also i am using 2.5.2.3178 and the Notifications enable i keep getting text and emails none stop till i ignored the alert.  I love getting the alerts but maybe adding a setting to only send a few instead of ALL the time or maybe set it by hours or days...

15 answers to this question

You should only get one notification, it's ... a bug that is causing this behavior. 

Try resetting the settings, as it may fix it.

If all you're seeing is the "Current Pending Sector count" value, and no problems during the surface scan and no other SMART warnings (namely "Uncorrectable Sector Count"), then you may be fine.  

As for fixing it ... write to the sector. But since there isn't a good way to force this, a full format would work.

But in this case, I'd recommend just letting it sit, until something changes.

1 minute ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

As for fixing it ... write to the sector. But since there isn't a good way to force this, a full format would work.

If the sector has no data in it currently, a secure erase of all empty sectors on the drive would work.  Some tools available to do that can be found here:  https://www.raymond.cc/blog/make-your-recoverable-datas-unrecoverable/

If it has data in it, simply finding the file via a block map tool and deleting it (removing it from the MFT) would mark the sector empty, allowing you to then do a secure erase which would force a write to it.

11 minutes ago, Jaga said:

If it has data in it, simply finding the file via a block map tool and deleting it (removing it from the MFT) would mark the sector empty, allowing you to then do a secure erase which would force a write to it.

You'd still need to WRITE to the sector for the disk to either correct it, or mark it as uncorrectable. 

Though, "SDELETE" will do that, as it zero's out the old data, as well. 

Yep, basically any secure-erase utility writes whatever pattern you want to the sectors.  The more advanced will do multi-writes, toggling bits as they go.  i haven't had to use one in a while, but it should do the trick here.  :)   I usually retire drives when sectors start to go bad, just as a good disaster-preventative practice.

Well, the big part is writing here.  That triggers ECC and reallocation in the drive's firmware.  

If that doesn't work, a full format "may".  But if that doesn't work, RMA time. 

3 minutes ago, Jaga said:

I usually retire drives when sectors start to go bad, just as a good disaster-preventative practice.

By retire, ... well, I have a nice pile of rare earth magnets. 

51 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

You should only get one notification, it's ... a bug that is causing this behavior. 

Try resetting the settings, as it may fix it.

If all you're seeing is the "Current Pending Sector count" value, and no problems during the surface scan and no other SMART warnings (namely "Uncorrectable Sector Count"), then you may be fine.  

But in this case, I'd recommend just letting it sit, until something changes.

Here is a photo of my trash from my email lol also was getting texts like crazy too! 

Now if I was to enable folder duplicate would I be able to just reformat the drive without losing data.

Screenshot_20180515-164513.png

1 minute ago, WickedLlama said:

Here is a photo of my trash from my email lol also was getting texts like crazy too! 

Yup, I believe you, I've ... had it happen myself.  It's ... annoying. 

1 minute ago, WickedLlama said:

Now if I was to enable folder duplicate would I be able to just reformat the drive without losing data.

You could do that. As long as everything is duplicated

You could remove it from the pool first, as well, and then format it. 

Either option would work. But removing it works better. 

36 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Yup, I believe you, I've ... had it happen myself.  It's ... annoying. 

You could do that. As long as everything is duplicated

You could remove it from the pool first, as well, and then format it. 

Either option would work. But removing it works better. 

Removing it will just move all data on that drive to a new one?  I don't have duplicate enable right now.

Editing my post for a bit more clarity:

You can use duplication and then simply take the drive out of the machine, and revert duplication to x1.  However according to the DrivePool feature list, when you remove a disk from the pool via the software options:

Removing a disk from the pool moves all the existing pooled files on it to another disk in the pool.

Provided you have enough available space on other disks in the pool, then Christopher is correct in that a removal will transfer all files to other disks prior to removing the drive you wanted.

I'm not sure which option is faster.  Either should work.  Christopher's advice is probably the best you're going to get.

On 5/15/2018 at 2:32 PM, WickedLlama said:

Removing it will just move all data on that drive to a new one?  I don't have duplicate enable right now.

Yes.  The "Remove Disk" option will cause StableBit DrivePool to actively move all of the data from the drive in question to the other drives in the pool.  

You may want to use the "Force damaged disk removal" option, too.  Normally, the removal aborts if it runs into disk errors.  There is a decent chance that you will.... so the "force" option will continue on with the removal and leave the "problem files" on the disk, if any. 

1 hour ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

I'm glad to hear that you were able to remove the drive.

As for CCleaner, nice.  Though, a full (non-quick) format would work here, as well. 

Yeah took me a bit to be able to remove the drive files keep being used closed out of everything and AV and i was able to remove it.  Drive has been wiped and now running test should see in the AM and then going to re-add it to the pool.  Love all these software's! Worth every penny!