help with standby

DotJun

Question

i have a number of discs in an array using drivepool. i also use scanner and snapraid. all of this on windows 10 through an lsi 9211-8i. my question is, does anyone know why my parity drives spin down but my data drives do not? the only real difference is that the parity drives are not in the drivepool pool, but they are still connected through the 9211 card.

*edit, i should add that i do want all my drives to spin down. i just dont know how to go about getting them to do so.

7 answers to this question

Are your parity drives the same make/model as your data drives?  Some firmware features aggressively attempt to spin down drives (park heads/sleep) while some are more relaxed.  I had to patch my WD Reds since they were parking heads after just 8 seconds of inactivity, raising the load cycle count unnaturally in a NAS.

I only use 2 different make/models. I have a single seagate as parity and another single WD red as parity. I have both types as data drives.

I enabled the "performance" tab on Scanner and noticed an odd behavior. Every single drive, at the same time, goes from 0k read to 4k read. They just keep alternating from 0 to 4 and back to 0 again over and over, a change of value per second. When I check resmon though, resmon shows no disc activity. Let's say they were being read every second like Scanner is showing me, it still doesn't explain why the parity drives can sleep but not the data drives.

Sounds like something is reading data on the pool, and keeping the drives active. 

Just in case, try disabling "BitLocker_PoolPartUnlockDetect", by setting the "override" value to "false" and rebooting:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings#Settings.json

On 5/15/2018 at 1:01 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Sounds like something is reading data on the pool, and keeping the drives active. 

Just in case, try disabling "BitLocker_PoolPartUnlockDetect", by setting the "override" value to "false" and rebooting:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings#Settings.json

That did the trick! Thanks much for this! My array now spins down like it's supposed to do. Was this a new default setting as of the last update?