Optimal settings etc?

PetabytesPlease

Question

1) I will be creating a pool with 2 6TB Toshiba drives. Can i set up stable bit to create a pool with a partition of a drive? Like the pool would have the full 6TB drive and then say 5TB of the other drive, so that i can have a 1TB partition for non-pooled storage (for stuff like downloads, scratch disk, data that is altered frequently?

2) The data on the pool is going to be pretty static (with minimal deletion or altering of files etc). As such I literally want a JBOD setup; with minimal "balancing", I/O performance or "unnecessary" reading of the library etc stuff going on in the background. What settings should i use to accomplish this? I already installed the Order File Placement plug in. I am confused as to what position the plugin-boxes should be in, in the pool options window for my set up

3 answers to this question

4 hours ago, PetabytesPlease said:

1) I will be creating a pool with 2 6TB Toshiba drives. Can i set up stable bit to create a pool with a partition of a drive? Like the pool would have the full 6TB drive and then say 5TB of the other drive, so that i can have a 1TB partition for non-pooled storage (for stuff like downloads, scratch disk, data that is altered frequently?

Yes.   But you have to partition the drive manually. 

You can also use the drives for stuff other than the pool, as well (eg for both the pool and for "other" stuff).  Just keep in mind that this other stuff will show up as "other" data on the pool. 

4 hours ago, PetabytesPlease said:

2) The data on the pool is going to be pretty static (with minimal deletion or altering of files etc). As such I literally want a JBOD setup; with minimal "balancing", I/O performance or "unnecessary" reading of the library etc stuff going on in the background. What settings should i use to accomplish this? I already installed the Order File Placement plug in. I am confused as to what position the plugin-boxes should be in, in the pool options window for my set up

The defaults.  Seriously.

Most of the built in balancers deal with edge cases or optimizations.  In fact, we designed them so that they do very little balancing normally, so that the drives can idle, and to minimize wear and tear on the drives.

You can read more about them here. 

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Balancing Plug-ins

So when you say the defaults do you mean i should uninstall the Order File Placement plug in, or not have it selected, at the top of the list, at the bottom? Please be detailed as to which balencers i should select and de-select and in which order they sdould be in because this setting is the only one that i am having trouble with. Note that I dont have stabe bit scanner, i will not be using files duplication (maybe 3GB or so). Thanks

The Ordered File Placement balancer is only needed if you want to fill up one disk at a time.  If you do, then you can enable it, and you should be fine.  
Otherwise, the default settings for most everything should be fine. 

As for the order, that's up to you.  It order is the order of priority. Eg, which you want to take precedence.

You should probably leave the Ordered file placement balancer plugin at the bottom so the other balancers are able to ensure that their "edge cases" take effect.