How separate files from specific folder.

zim2323

Question

I have VM's that are split into multiple files, usually 5-10gb in size all within a folder per VM.  Currently, I don't have any way of controlling which pool drive those files are stored on.  In most cases, they all seem to be on 1-2 drives in my 5 drive pool, based on what is being accessed from the DrivePool console.  I'd like to make sure that I'm splitting these files evenly across all 5 drives in the pool.

Is this possible?

*UPDATED*

Thanks,

Chris

3 answers to this question

Here's my scenario...

I have an external USB3 UASP enclosure with 8 drives, and inside my case I have another 6 drives.  All 14 drives are the same and speed tests from USB or internal show identical performance.  Bottleneck is the Sata II 500gb WD Enterprise drives themselves, not the interface.

Even though the rule is in place to force the files for a VM folder across all 14 drives, the files are only getting balanced on the 6 internal drives instead of across all 14.  Is there something else that's preferring BUS type?  If so, is there any way to turn this off or set a rule for it?

*UPDATE*  This is regardless of file size, and there are more than 20 files in the VM folder.  11 files are 3+ GB, but are only sitting on the 6 internal drives.  IF anything ends up on the external drives, it's just a couple smaller files of byte or kb in size.

Chris

On 5/10/2018 at 7:26 PM, zim2323 said:

Even though the rule is in place to force the files for a VM folder across all 14 drives, the files are only getting balanced on the 6 internal drives instead of across all 14.  Is there something else that's preferring BUS type?  If so, is there any way to turn this off or set a rule for it?

Yes,  StableBit DrivePool puts files on the disk(s) with the most available free space.  Not by percent, but absolute.  So if the drives that are being used here are larger and/or have more free space than the other drives, then what your seeing is normal, actually.