Storage Spaces and Media Type "Unknown"

electo

Question

I'm trying to use CloudDrive as a disk in Storage Spaces. When trying to create storage tiers there is a problem with CloudDrive reporting media type as "Unknown" and the option gets grayed out.

Creating a disk without storage tiers works perfectly.

Is it possible to change this to "HDD" instead of "Unknown"?

storage-1.thumb.jpg.af5248a524e401a4db2a4e95bc036c73.jpgstorage-2.jpg.1a980a63f948d665a9235a511e1f0253.jpg

6 answers to this question

I want to keep things as "pure" windows as possible. I'm only using CloudDrive for the raw cloud block storage and letting windows handle all the caching and encryption.

This is just an evaluation to see if it works and what the performance is when using multiple cloud storage providers mirrored and a storage spaces SSD cache compared to letting CloudDrive handling all the caching.

Okay. And that's not a problem.

We do have a ticket for it, and Alex (the Developer) will look into it, but it's not a priority right now (StableBit Scanner is, as it is the only product left that hasn't had a recent update). 

Also, I know that Storage Spaces does some weird stuff with the disks for Storage Spaces, and that this is probably related to that.  We probably don't properly support the "weird stuff" that storage spaces does, so that may be why. 

I haven't noticed anything weird when using CloudDrives with storage spaces. But to be honest I haven't really used it that much.  It seems its just that Storage Spaces can't properly identify what type of drive the drives created by CloudDrive is and that prevents it from creating storage tiers on the drives.

Also wanted to clarify as the ticket says "Can't add a CloudDrive Disk to a Storage Spaces array." This is incorrect. I can add the drives just fine and they work. Its only storage tiers that don't work. See: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2013/10/20/storage-spaces-how-to-configure-storage-tiers-with-windows-server-2012-r2/ (Article about Server 2012, I'm using 2018 but the concept is the same)

I understand that this is a niche usage and therefore not a priority. Will keep an eye on the ticket and hope for an update some time in the future.

7 hours ago, electo said:

I understand that this is a niche usage and therefore not a priority. Will keep an eye on the ticket and hope for an update some time in the future.

And Clouddrive is relatively new, so you never know what requested features might make it in.