Way to speed up measuring/duplicating?

thepregnantgod

Question

Drashna, I'm curious if there is a way to speed up measuring and duplicating?

I have 38 drives (over 152TB) - mostly green in a single pool.  The entire pool was duplicated twice but considering the moving parts, I changed the duplication to 3 times.

Then one of my pain in the arse drives decided to go RAW.  I don't think I lost any data because everything was duplicated twice already.  But now, it's taking forever to measure, check duplication, then start duplicating again. 

It's not system power since they're attached to a 1950x at 4.1ghz with 96gb RAM.

And by a long time I mean more than 24hrs of measuring time...

3 answers to this question

I don't think so.  Namely, the measuring it a whole lot of file reads.  More means more CPU usage, for one. but also could affect performance.  I can ask though.

As for duplication, yes and no.  It's the same issues, but ... the "FileDuplication_BackgroundIO" can help, but it may adversely effect performance on the pool. This is in part, because (part of) duplication is straight up file copying. 

Just as a sidenote:  I increased duplication on a folder the other day, and noticed while watching it do copies, that the stats for Pool Performance didn't register any of the Duplication copying.  Probably that way since it's an internal routine, but it'd be nice to see just how fast the Duplication is being processed in MB/s.