Harddrive crashes with stablebit scanner

RobinM

Hi there,

I'm (was) using stablebit drivepool and scanner together with Snapraid. But I found that while transferring a lot of files over network or when Snapraid sync is running and Stablebit scanner service is active it will result in 1 of my harddrives crashing (random drive crashing, not same every time) making my complete system unresponsive. Computer wont restart only using reset button. I'm able to open taskmanager and I am able to see 1 of the drives is showing 100% usage. After disabling the service the issue does not occur anymore.

Are other seeing same issue?

I'm using 10TB WD red drives connected to sata ports of an Asrock X399 Taichi motherboard. 

You might be encountering "thrashing", which is where Scanner is actively testing drive(s) at the same time data is being read/written on them.  There's a setting in Scanner (under the Throttling tab) to get around that, but it needs to be set to "High" sensitivity so that Scanner behaves and there isn't any fighting over drive resources.  It will drastically improve system responsiveness.

I too use Snapraid and it have it set to Sync on a totally different schedule, so that it never works when I have network or server activity going.  It kicks off at 3am and usually only runs for 10-15 minutes tops.  I then tell Scanner that it has a window from 4 am to 8am (for surface testing) so that it can do it's work without interruption, and the two never fight.

Hey Jaga,

Thank you for your respons, I get what you are saying. But I don't believe the scanner was actively testing. But what about reading smart data, is this on ongoing process? Could this create a drive crash?

I have scheduled scanning also during the night. And run sync before this. I will check it again but as currently the server is actively being accessed by Plex users need to look if there is a window for testing again.

I've never heard of a SMART query crashing the OS or a drive somehow..  you'd think it would just timeout or give a bad dataset.

What does Scanner show you for SMART data on all the drives it monitors?  If everything looks okay in it's main panel, then SMART queries aren't the issue.  You -can- however tell Scanner to throttle SMART updates (just like throttling scans), and I admit I take advantage of this so as not to constantly spin up the disks if they are sleeping.  My current interval for queries is set to 60 minutes.

Based on the size of the drives you have and their quality, the type of motherboard and guessing it's age... the first thing I'd recommend is an uninstall/reboot/reinstall of Scanner.  Perhaps Christopher has a better version for you to try?  :unsure:

11 hours ago, RobinM said:

Thank you for your respons, I get what you are saying. But I don't believe the scanner was actively testing. But what about reading smart data, is this on ongoing process? Could this create a drive crash?

It's possible, but it's so incredibly rare.  And some of the methods that *could*, we blacklist.  So this shouldn't happen, ever. 

My guess is that you have a bad controller, that is having issues. 

HighPoint, by chance?  Or Silicon Images? 

• 5 months later...

So, removing StableBit Scanner from the system fixed the issue with the drives? 

If so.... well, uninstalling the drivers for the controller (or installing them, if they weren't) may help out here. 

Otherwise, it depends on your budget.  I personally highly recommend the LSI SAS 9211 or 9207 cards, but they're on the higher end of consumer/prosumer.