BSOD on DP after updating to Win 10 Apr 18 AND...

NickM

Question

Maybe not a DP issue, but yesterday I updated 2 machines to Windows 10 April 2018.

Both appeared to run normally, but I get an immediate BSOD on the DP machine with "BAD_POOL_HEADER".

The Internet says it's either bad RAM (I'm current running MEMCHECK on the DP machine) or a bad driver.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I haven't yet reinstalled DP and scanner, or reverted to pre-update Windows.

Edit 1: I do run MalwareBytes on the crashing machine, shall remove it and see what happens.

13 hours ago, aniel said:

i have to add that accessing the pool over lan/wan via ftp issue does not happen. 

From the dumps, that sounds consistent, as "SRV2" is the network share "stack"/driver. 

I think you already have, but try disable Network IO Boost, if you haven't.

13 hours ago, seanvree said:

so me getting a BSOD right when I create a folder on network folder where the target is a DrivePool drive is totally different? 

That sounds different, but .... hard to tell.  Enable verifier, get a new memory dump, open a ticket and let us know.  Just in case.

19 hours ago, PocketDemon said:

+1 on the "BAD_POOL_HEADER" issue on both machines with DP installed - support question raised as per the thread. :( 

I think we already "resolved" yours actually! 

For everyone, (will update main post), try this build:
http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/rc/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.1.925_x64_RC.exe

It may not fix the issue, but just in case....

3 minutes ago, aniel said:

i took a look at StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.1.925_x64_RC.exe changelog and no mention of this issue being fixed, can you elaborate please?

* [Issue #27818] [D] Fixed bug in filename normalization after FileNameInformation query, when dealing with root directories.

But this may not be related to the issue here.  In fact, it's probably not.  But .... just in case.

is that your elaboration, i mean im not trying to be rude or anything but im not willing to crash my $1500 gaming computer one more time base on a "It may not fix the issue, but just in case...." 

No, you're not being. Sorry, I'm usually more verbose. 

Specifically, this code change is in regards to a crash dump that somebody did upload, and that the verifier did catch an issue, actually.  And the crash type in question was the "bad pool header" crash.

So on the off chance that this is related, or even the same issue. And no, it shouldn't cause the system to crash (at least any more that what you're already seeing).  But since we can't really test it, because we're not seeing/experiencing the crashes.... there is no way to tell for certain if this is related to what you're seeing, or not. 

im happy to announce that so far issue seen to have been fixed. note: did install windows update KB4103721 that was available after rebooting, whether or not it contributed to the fix, idk, no mention in the change log. but im happy issue seen to be fixed :)

Awesome! 

I'm glad to hear it! 

20 hours ago, aniel said:

im happy to announce that so far issue seen to have been fixed. note: did install windows update KB4103721 that was available after rebooting, whether or not it contributed to the fix, idk, no mention in the change log. but im happy issue seen to be fixed :)

So, it sounds like that fix before was the cause here.  And we were only able to catch it because of the Verifier being enabled. 

45 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Awesome! 

I'm glad to hear it! 

So, it sounds like that fix before was the cause here.  And we were only able to catch it because of the Verifier being enabled. 

...and u lost me there.