BSOD on DP after updating to Win 10 Apr 18 AND...

NickM

Question

Maybe not a DP issue, but yesterday I updated 2 machines to Windows 10 April 2018.

Both appeared to run normally, but I get an immediate BSOD on the DP machine with "BAD_POOL_HEADER".

The Internet says it's either bad RAM (I'm current running MEMCHECK on the DP machine) or a bad driver.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I haven't yet reinstalled DP and scanner, or reverted to pre-update Windows.

Edit 1: I do run MalwareBytes on the crashing machine, shall remove it and see what happens.

New upload ID 3594. DIfferent BSOD this time: DRIVER_PAGE_FAULT_BEYOND_END_OF_ALLOCATION

I'll try another few times, then I have to revert both machines. The downtime is killing me.

It seems to be giving this error now :/ DRIVER_PAGE_FAULT_BEYOND_END_OF_ALLOCATION, and the blue screen shows "what failed: covefs.sys".

With verification on, I've been unable to get the BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD.

Upload 2 with ID: 3594_nm02

Upload 3 with ID: 3594_nm03

Output of BlueScreenView attached as well.

report.html

3 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

For those that are having this issue: 

Enable verifier for covefs.sys and covefs_disk.sys.  
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/driver-verifier#how-to-start-driver-verifier
Then get the crash dump: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Crashes

Upload that, and then let us know.  

Thanks Christopher. I followed your directions on another machine and uploaded my memory dump. I also get driver_page_fault_beyond_end_of_allocation for covefs.sys with verifier on.

I reverted the DP machine to the previous Windows build (1709 + updates), which now has DP 2.2.0.922 on it.

The machine I'm copying FROM still has 1803 on it.

I've copied several files from the 1803 machine to the reverted DP machine without error.

From  https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin  Windows 1803 seems to break a lot of things. I'm going to skip it.

I gotta agree with you. All my win 10 machines we working flawlessly on 1709 but I've been getting way too many BSODs on all but one machine - which happens to be the Drivepool server at work.

Every other computer has at leat 1 BSOD. For me this is the worst MS update I've ever had.

I uninstalled Avast from my home DP server and still got the BSOD running any EXE file, not just trainers. Rolled back that machine for now.

8 hours ago, aniel said:

this is a joke, there is new update StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.1.923_x64_RC.exe wich i have been checking periodically yet the change log does not say anything about fixing this issue, this is not fair and also frustrating, if anybody know a way to go back to 1709 without losing anything and without rollback option let me know.  

Without a rollback? That's the only sure way: Start > PC Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Restore/go back to previous version of Windows.

I haven't lost anything by doing this on both machines.

11 hours ago, aniel said:

this is a joke, there is new update StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.1.923_x64_RC.exe wich i have been checking periodically yet the change log does not say anything about fixing this issue, this is not fair and also frustrating, if anybody know a way to go back to 1709 without losing anything and without rollback option let me know.  

Don't bother with the RC above, it has exactly the same issue (I'm using it).

I can't rollback as mine is a new install straight from Microsoft using the Windows Media Creation tool so I don't have an old version of Windows 10 to install/rollback to.  Just FYI: Microsoft no longer host older versions of Windows 10 so I would have to get an older copy from somewhere else. 

I'm amazed this got through testing, i mean, it was tested, wasn't it Cove????!!!!

14 hours ago, stuza said:

Don't bother with the RC above, it has exactly the same issue (I'm using it).

I can't rollback as mine is a new install straight from Microsoft using the Windows Media Creation tool so I don't have an old version of Windows 10 to install/rollback to.  Just FYI: Microsoft no longer host older versions of Windows 10 so I would have to get an older copy from somewhere else. 

I'm amazed this got through testing, i mean, it was tested, wasn't it Cove????!!!!

i have an old ISO version of windows, that is not an issue, the problem is that i cant go roll roll because i didn't came from 1709 to 1803 :(  

On 5/4/2018 at 8:24 PM, NickM said:

I reverted the DP machine to the previous Windows build (1709 + updates), which now has DP 2.2.0.922 on it.

The machine I'm copying FROM still has 1803 on it.

I've copied several files from the 1803 machine to the reverted DP machine without error.

From  https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin  Windows 1803 seems to break a lot of things. I'm going to skip it.

It was happening before 1803.  I've had it for several months, but I was thinking it was a hardware issue. I recently rebuilt the entire machine and just started to research reasons why.  

I uploaded my dump too, Happens every time you run a an executable directly in the pool from a remote computer.  Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, Ryokurin said:

It was happening before 1803.  I've had it for several months, but I was thinking it was a hardware issue. I recently rebuilt the entire machine and just started to research reasons why.  

I uploaded my dump too, Happens every time you run a an executable directly in the pool from a remote computer.  Hope that helps.

we are in the same boat, im still waiting for a fix :(

4 hours ago, aniel said:

we are in the same boat, im still waiting for a fix :(

6 hours ago, Ryokurin said:

OK, so I just rebuilt my server for a third time in 2 days and it's now at 1511.  I've installed the release (not RC) of stablebit and then accessed an exe on the server and ran this on the laptop from the server. Running a remote exe from the DP worked fine for me. 

I had the same issue (Bad Pool Header) on one of the last 1803 Insider Builds.. Did even a fresh install which didn't help.. Now I'm on Server 2016 (1607), problem is gone! I assume this is a 1703 issue.. Maybe the devs could install a Windows 10 1703 to reproduce the issue on their own..

31 minutes ago, glockmane said:

I had the same issue (Bad Pool Header) on one of the last 1803 Insider Builds.. Did even a fresh install which didn't help.. Now I'm on Server 2016 (1607), problem is gone! I assume this is a 1703 issue.. Maybe the devs could install a Windows 10 1703 to reproduce the issue on their own..

is has been almost a week and no statement, i dont know if they are working on a fix or anything. btw issue is on 1803 not on 1703 as far im concern

5 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Additionally, from the dumps that have already been submitted, we're not seeing anything DrivePool related.  The crashes appear to be SRV2 related. Meaning it's a network share issue, in this case.   And this is why we need the verifier enabled, so we can see more specifically why this is happening. And where it is happening at. 

Are there any other drivers that should be included? tcpip.sys? ntfs?

I"m having this same issue.  I enabled driver verifier on covefs.sys and covefs_disk.sys.  

However, Windows 10 immediately BSOD on boot now with error "Bug Check 0xC1: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION"

I also tried installing .922 RC but having the same BSOD

Sincerely hope the team is working on this.  Show stopper. 

1 hour ago, seanvree said:

I"m having this same issue.  I enabled driver verifier on covefs.sys and covefs_disk.sys.  

However, Windows 10 immediately BSOD on boot now with error "Bug Check 0xC1: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION"

I also tried installing .922 RC but having the same BSOD

Sincerely hope the team is working on this.  Show stopper. 

That's not the same error as us, it's totally different. Suggest you start another thread and log a ticket. Also, read through a thread before posting.

Just noticed this alert on another piece of software when it updated.  Sounds like it could be related to the issues people are seeing in this topic.

- MSW: Microsoft broke the ICopyHook interface in Windows 1803. Until Microsoft fixes the bug in Windows, drag & drop from FileZilla into Explorer will not work on Windows 1803.

21 hours ago, NickM said:

Are there any other drivers that should be included? tcpip.sys? ntfs?

Nope.  Just our drivers.  That way, we can see if/where the issues are occurring in relation to our code. 

21 hours ago, Ryokurin said:

I just made a case and uploaded another dump, after doing the second way I can always trigger the bad pool header crash, Creating a new folder inside the pool.  

Thanks.  Though. I'm not sure which it is.  If you could, open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/contact and mention this ticket.

18 hours ago, stuza said:

That's not the same error as us, it's totally different. Suggest you start another thread and log a ticket. Also, read through a thread before posting.

Correct.  And that's the point here, actually.  The verifier may/will cause it to crash in a different way, because of how it works. 

And looking at the crash type, it's directly related.  The "Pool" part in both types refers to the system memory ("memory pool"), so this does appear to be related. 

14 hours ago, Jaga said:

Just noticed this alert on another piece of software when it updated.  Sounds like it could be related to the issues people are seeing in this topic.

Oh boy.  That's not good.  And I've flagged that info for Alex, just in case it's helpful.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:26 PM, stuza said:

so me getting a BSOD right when I create a folder on network folder where the target is a DrivePool drive is totally different?