Hierarchical Pooling and File Distribution Not Optimal

Hughesco

Question

Just upgraded and changed over to Hierarchical Pooling.  Now have 1 parent pool containing 3 pools.  Children:  1 of 3 has 10 drive and 10TB of duplicated files. 2 of 3 is 2 USB drives. 3 of 3 is a single OneDrive CloudDrive.  Parent pool, folders are only duplicated across the 3 pools to the extent of 450GB otherwise, a single copy only goes to Child pool #1.

After numerous duplication runs and about 36 hours to settle in, I still get a message on the Parent Pool "File distribution not optimal".  All child pools are fully duplicated.

Would this be from the rules I have set to only direct a small portion of the overall to a single pool?

Also, why such a large amount of Other, only 1.5TB of Other in one child pool.

Thanks.

File Distribution Issue.png

5 answers to this question

It looks like you have balancing turned off, or set on a long schedule.  From what I can see in the screenshot, only your duplicated files are spread across the top-tier pool, and none of your non-duplicated are being balanced.  Did you check balancing settings on the top-tier Pool to see if it's on or off?

Thanks for the response.  My intention is to have the Parent Pool direct ALL files to one pool accept one folder, that folder should be duplicated across all pools.  Pools 2&3 only have duplicated files.

I did take off the 12 hours default setting thinking I was would be turning up the frequency for a few days until everything leveled out.

I have file duplication turned off on all folders except Family Media.  And in the file Placement rules, I have that same folder filtered to use all drives whereas all other folders are set to only use Child pool #1.

Settings in screen shots

BalancingSettings3.png

BalancingSettings2.png

BalancingSettings1.png

If Pools 2/3 are for duplicated only, then it looks like it's doing exactly what you wanted, which is good news.  It's spreading ~431 gig with duplication to the USB and Cloud pools.  (431+431+431) / 1024 = 1.262 TB. 

The message is probably an indicator that the free space vs data balance across the pools is very uneven, which in your case you can safely ignore.  I haven't seen that message yet personally, but I auto-balance between all drives in a single pool (typical NAS style).

Still, might be something for Christopher and Alex to review to see if they want that message displayed when such a specific filter is applied.  Don't see anything wrong either way with your setup.