Disable Duplication

TerryMundy

Question

I am a newbie to StableBit.  My son has been using it for over a year and introduced it to me after I nearly lost 48TB of data at home due to Windows 2016/10 poor Storage Spaces [I'd never make that mistake again and pity anyone who does.  They're asking for problems!].  Thank goodness for tape backups!

Anyway, I installed it and added QTY (23) 4TB drives to create my pool.  Then began restoring data to the new pool.  This afternoon I saw a warning that one of my 4TB drives went from 100% health to 9% in 3 hours.  I guess the stress of writing data was too much.  I keep the server room at 70 degrees and excessive airflow through the drives to keep them cool.  Ask my wife, she has to wear ear protection when she steps into the server room.  I do to if I spend more than 5 minutes.  See box of foam earplugs on wall as you enter.  Sorry, got sidetracked.  Anyway.  I removed the failing hard drive from the pool and gave it a drive letter.  I thought the data on it was the only copy but to my surprise when I tried to move it to the existing pool the data was already there?

Did I set it up wrong?  I don't want any sort of duplication turned on because I back it up to a separate server which backs up to LTO5 every day.

Where/how do I turn off duplication?

Thanks in advance,

Terry

2 answers to this question

Did you double-check the folder/file structure on that drive to make sure it wasn't a complete copy?  Automatic balancing can create a full folder structure on multiple disks, but the files (when balanced) end up distributed among many disks even if multiple copies (duplication) aren't enabled.

As for checking on duplication within/on the pool, click the "Manage Pool ^" under the visual space pie chart, choose "File Protection", and then either choice to see what kind of duplication you have set on the Pool itself, or Folders within the Pool.  Pool Duplication is an all-or-nothing thing, while Folder duplication is set on individual folders within the disk structure.

I'm going to guess you didn't have a full set of files on that drive you checked - just the full folder structure making you think it was all there.  I could be wrong, if you had balancing turned off for example.  Take a look at the duplication settings first, then a look at the files on that drive.

On 4/29/2018 at 5:32 PM, TerryMundy said:

This afternoon I saw a warning that one of my 4TB drives went from 100% health to 9% in 3 hours

You're using HD Sentinel, right?   If so, then one of the stats changed and cause some sort of issue. 
However, we don't use health percentages like this, because it can be very inaccurate (eg a big ol' red herring).

On 4/29/2018 at 5:32 PM, TerryMundy said:

nyway.  I removed the failing hard drive from the pool and gave it a drive letter.  I thought the data on it was the only copy but to my surprise when I tried to move it to the existing pool the data was already there?

If you used the "Remove" option for StableBit DrivePool, then this may be normal.

The disk removal process not only ejects the disk from the pool, but it actually moves the data off of that drive and onto the other disks in the pool.