Duplication Query

z4driver

Question

Hi all

Just started with DrivePool following the recommendation in Terry Walsh's book: Building a Windows 10 Home Server.  My question is:

If I originally set a folder to be duplicated 2 times (so 3 copies in total). I've now set it to be duplicated once so two copies in total only. What happens to the third copy that was originally created?

Thanks in advance

4 answers to this question

The files that made up that third copy are simply removed from your pool drives.  They no longer exist.  Each copy in a set of mirrored files/folders are valid originals, each as good as the other.  It doesn't matter which set Drivepool erases when you lower the duplication factor.

You could have a duplication factor of six, then lower it to two, and the extra four copies would simply be deleted from the pool.  Duplicates removed in this way also free up pool space.

On 4/29/2018 at 7:28 AM, z4driver said:

If I originally set a folder to be duplicated 2 times (so 3 copies in total). I've now set it to be duplicated once so two copies in total only. What happens to the third copy that was originally created?

Well, to clarify, x2 duplication means that there are 2 copies of the file on the pool, not three.  x1 means no duplication.  

But if you change the duplication status, the software runs a duplication pass.  All of the data is checked for it's "target status" and it's actual status.   If will then make new copies or delete excess copies to get to the "target" number.