DP constantly fills and then empties my SSD

xazz

Question

I have DP setup with 8 HDDs and one SSD. The SSD is configured to be the first location for all files and seems to work as such.

The issue I am seeing is that as part of the balancing, it competely fills the SSD, and then offloads them them onto one of the drives. One day I will check it and the SSD will be full, the next it will be empty. This has been going on for weeks (months?), and seems very inefficient (in terms of power and wear).

Just to be sure I looked at the content of the SSD (S:\) and the files are old ones, not any that would have been newly copied to the SSD (which should get less than 1GB of new files in a day).

Main.thumb.png.d7785a07452f0485173083c178cee08c.png

Possibly it is related to anther error I often see:

x GB could not be moved because a suitable destination could not be found. Maje sure you have enough disk space in order to satisfy your file placement rules and they're not conflicting with other balancing settings.

I'm not sure why I am getting this as:

- I only have one balancing rule "SSD Optimizer"

- All File placement rules are set to "Allow files to be placed on other disks..."

Thanks for any advice.

Balancing2.png

Balancing3.png

Balancing.png

4 answers to this question

Well, the \* rule probably isn't helping here.

But the emptying part is normal with the SSD optimizer. 

As for filling the drives, I'm assuming that this isn't due to normal writes to the pool.  

Given some of the settings, it sounds like you have a number of conflicting rules that is causing data to be shuffled around. that \* rule would DEFINITELY do this.  

It may be best to removal all the rules, and start from scratch.  Add one rule at a time.  

Thanks, I deleted all the placement rules and it is stable now.

Would be good if there was an easy way to specify a preferred destination drive for each of my folders, so if the system fails it would be easier to recover data.

I'm glad to hear it! 

On 4/26/2018 at 4:21 PM, xazz said:

Would be good if there was an easy way to specify a preferred destination drive for each of my folders, so if the system fails it would be easier to recover data.

Well, the file placement rules does that, to an extend.  And the Ordered File Placement is another strategy to accomplish this, as well.