Drivepool Backup solutions? (looking for suggestions)

APoolTodayKeepsTheNasAway

Question

Im currently planning to have 2 pools with a few drives each and no duplication on either.

Im wondering how backup and recovery can be accomplished with this setup.

Specifically, id like to answer 2 questions:

1. How can I recover only missing files (with the correct folder structure) from a backup in the event of drive failure. (programs, suggestions and/or anecdotes welcome, Im trying to find the optimal solution)

2. How long can a secondary pool made for offline backup stay without being updated/connected? WIll future updates make older pools unreadable and if so how much warning could I expect for such a change?

5 answers to this question

For both, syncing software may be better for this, actually.  as for why:

• It could address the pool directly (any block based utility would only work with the underlying disks)
  • Should be able to be configured to skip existing files (both for backup/syncing and recovery)
  • Wouldn't need to be "online" all the time. Just hook it up, run a sync and disconnect. 

14 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

For both, syncing software may be better for this, actually.  as for why:

• It could address the pool directly (any block based utility would only work with the underlying disks)
  • Should be able to be configured to skip existing files (both for backup/syncing and recovery)
  • Wouldn't need to be "online" all the time. Just hook it up, run a sync and disconnect. 

Thats kind of what I was asking for really, suggestions of backup/sync software that people who use drivepool have tried and works for them (preferably with deduplication (smart acknowledgement of folder filename changes) to avoid multiples), and now that I think of it, also for detecting lost files that weren't in the backup without having to manually sort through a list. Goodsync seems to do most of this except the last part for example.

Also what about the second question of a drive pools longevity? I basically just want to know Il never end up being unable to recover from the offline/disconnected drive pool as that'd kinda eliminate the whole point of having it.

7 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

I don't use any sort of syncing software, so I can't recommend anything, sorry.

However: https://alternativeto.net/software/goodsync/
We have no affiliation with the site, but I use it all the time.

Ah, alright, Il see what I can find then.

Also I think perhaps my edit was missed so forgive me for asking again, but what about the second question of a drive pools longevity? I basically just want to know Il never end up being unable to recover from the offline/disconnected drive pool as that'd kinda eliminate the whole point of having it.

On 4/21/2018 at 2:33 PM, APoolTodayKeepsTheNasAway said:

Also what about the second question of a drive pools longevity? I basically just want to know Il never end up being unable to recover from the offline/disconnected drive pool as that'd kinda eliminate the whole point of having it.

As long as the drive is intact, then there should be no issues.