Best HD enclosure option with my NUC server?

lava890

Question

I'm using a Mini PC/NUC (Beebox-S 7200U) as my Plex server with two external USB 3.0 hard drives in my Drivepool, and it has worked perfectly for the past year. I need more space, so now I'm looking at purchasing a 4 or 8 bay hard drive enclosure. I've read in this forum in posts from a few years ago that there are inherent issues with USB connections to these enclosures, and it's better to use eSATA. Does anyone know if the same USB issues are present with USB 3.1 Gen2 (Type C)? It's my only other connection type on this NUC.

If so, and I have to re-purpose an old PC instead of using my NUC, is there a better connection type now instead of eSATA? I've read more recently that eSATA cards are having issues in newer Windows OS's.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

The issues with USB are twofold: 

• Shitty hardware used by various manufacturers
  • The USB spec allows for random disconnects, in the first place

If you have an option, then eSATA is always the better option.  But if you have no option, then USB is okay. But I would personally disable write caching on the drives, or use ReFS to reduce the chances of issues.

6 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

The issues with USB are twofold: 

• Shitty hardware used by various manufacturers
  • The USB spec allows for random disconnects, in the first place

If you have an option, then eSATA is always the better option.  But if you have no option, then USB is okay. But I would personally disable write caching on the drives, or use ReFS to reduce the chances of issues.

Thanks!