High CPU usage after Google update

steffenmand

Question

20 answers to this question

56 minutes ago, steffenmand said:

After getting Google updated so we dont have to reauthorize again i get massive CPU usage. It can get to so high a load that i cant control my computer for a while when it uploads.

Didnt have this problem before - did something change ??

Might be related to pinning ? I see all my drives pinning at the same time when it happens

That’s exactly what I see too with Google drives – frequent “pinning data” phases with extreme CPU loads. Unclear, why pinning needs to be performed at all. Neither directories nor metadata are being changed on any drive. One drive is only downloading (being scanned for Crashplan backup). The pinned data volume suddenly gets reduced by a certain amount (e.g. 200 MB), what then triggers such a pinning phase and lets the entire system freeze almost completely for a couple of minutes – that happens multiple times a day.

On ‎16‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 10:26 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Well, this may make sense.  If it's reading the files/folders, ... that's CPU intensive work, so it can cause that to occur.

But the question is: Why is it’s reducing the amount of pinned data and then running through the pinning process so frequently? It happens only with Google drives and freezes the computer several times a day - very annoying!

It looks like that the “pinning issue” is caused by the prefetcher. I turned off prefetching on the Google drives and did not see any pinning data process since then. Furthermore, by disabling the prefetching I also got rid of frequent IO errors and timeout warnings (not one red error or yellow warning message for two days now).

I’m using version 1.0.3.982 BETA.

This issue is often causing my drives to unmount due to them not being able to download anything while freezing.

It goes completely crazy at 100% CPU when uploading (and it starts pinning when you upload)

Computer is unuseable for 1-15 min. depending on the upload size.

Something seriously broke in recent updates - should be seen as a critical issue! What can i do to get you to look into fixing this ?

Pinning shouldn't happen often. Really, it should only happen shortly after mounting the drive.  Or maybe if the file system has drastically changed.

I think that you Have posted a ticket about this already. If not, then somebody else did.  And I have let Alex know about the issue, too. 

Still got the issue...

But it is 100% the pinning causing it. If i manually cancel the pinning then it quickly goes down again.

My guess is that multiple drives start pinning at the same time and they all will run max amount of threads (ie. 15 on mine = 10 drives pinning with 15 threads each = 150 threads)