Read Striping is not working even in the newest version

Matt173

Question

Hi,

I am currently evaluating DrivePool and mostly consider it because of its advertised read striping feature. However, there seems to be a bug or an existing bug (I have read related issues by other users dating back to 2015) has never been fixed. Here is my setup:

I run on the latest Windows 10, 4 HDDs (WD Re 4TB, 170 Megabytes/second read performance for sequential data), which I pooled and chose 4x duplication. I copied several files and folders onto the pool and selected the following options:

* Duplication -Enabled

* Number Duplications: 4 ( I verified that the files and folders are in fact on each of the 4 hard drives - so DrivePool did its job at duplicating the data written into the pool)

* Read Striping - Enabled

* Realtime-Duplication - Enabled

*Bypass file system filters - Enabled

* File Protection - Pool File Duplication

I ensured the data are in fact on each of the 4 drives. I then copied a single large file and also an entire directory, containing several multi GB large files to an NVME SSD drive (1.8 GB write performance so definitely no bottleneck here) with the same disappointing result: File transfer speed maxes out at around 150 Megabytes per second. 

Here some observations:

* Initially I could see how only one drive was read from. But what points me to hint at this being bug (or at least a highly undesirable solution) is that DrivePool then jumped all over the place by reading for a second or two from 2 drives, then 2 others, then 3, then 1, then all four in a completely unpredictable manner. When >1 drives were read from the read performance on each individual drive most of the time dropped to <10 mb/second though 1 drive had larger throughput (not always the same drive). All in all, the read performance stayed relatively stable between 140-150 mb/second, but read striping is definitely not working as intended or desired on my end. With 4x duplication I expect at the very least 400 mb/sec throughput when reading identical data from 4 drives. 

Please note that all 4 HDDs are 100% identical brands/models/capacity. All are on 1 SATA 6 controller. I also eliminated the possibility of bottlenecks of my hardware components. I setup a Windows StorageSpaces Simple Virtual Disk with 4 columns (basically striping across all 4 HDDs) and I got a persistent read performance above 600 megabytes/second when reading from the virtual disk that comprised the 4 HDDs in Storage Space's Raid0 version. So, definitely no bottlenecks on my hardware/SATA controller/HDDs.

What particularly worries me is the inconsistent jumping between different drives in the pool when reading in (read-striping enabled mode). Whether this is a bug in read-striping itself or a bug in the evaluation of the controller bandwidth or a an advanced setting that has to be enabled but is not by default I do not know, but I know that the current read-striping is not what is promised. 

Could some of you share whether this feature works for you and what throughput increase you see when you read from 2x, 3x, 4x, ... duplicated files in your pools? Also if the developer or support could chime in this would be awesome. I am urgently looking for a product that provides read-performance improvements and mirrored data resiliency at the same time. But I cannot consider this product for purchase with such currently abysmal read-striping performance. Any hints are welcome and maybe it is just me who overlooked a setting or feature that needs to be enabled but which I forgot to enable. 

Cap1.PNG

Cap2.PNG

Cap3.PNG

Cap4.PNG

16 answers to this question

To clarify here, Read Striping doesn't always read from all of the disks.  It will read from a single disk at a time, in some circumstances. 

And it doesn't look at speed, as much as it looks at I/O load and latency.  So it may switch off of a disk, even when you think it shouldn't. 

We talk about this a bit here:

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Performance Options#Read Striping

3 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

To clarify here, Read Striping doesn't always read from all of the disks.  It will read from a single disk at a time, in some circumstances. 

And it doesn't look at speed, as much as it looks at I/O load and latency.  So it may switch off of a disk, even when you think it shouldn't. 

We talk about this a bit here:

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Performance Options#Read Striping

Thank you but this does not explain the erratic behavior I described and documented with screenshots. No other I/O takes place on those drives other than this single file transfer. Also all disks are 100% identical in terms of latencies and even if they differed it does not make sense that the software constantly switches and reads from different combinations of drives but never from all at the same time. Also it makes no sense for the algorithm to choose one or more drives and to then read at some abysmally slow throughput rates from some drives at the same time as reading at higher throughput from another driver. Seconds later different drive combinations are picked for combined reading and the choice of drives is in a seemingly random fashion and random individual throughput. This happens constantly throughout a large single file transfer. I am describing some wild switching back and forth around 100 or more times for a single file read of size 10 gigabytes or so and  ending up at almost the exact time, consumed, as if I read from a single disk. That is complete waste of resources and if you insist this is intended behavior then I don't know what else to say. 

I am absolutely sure this is unintended, at the very least I would not know of a single use case where this would make sense. I am OK you don't consider this a bug but I am somewhat unconvinced by your explanation because it does not account for the erratic behavior I explained. 

In any case, if I cannot enforce parallel/concurrent reads from all drives in the pool then this is not the product I am looking for. I just took the time to reply to point out that this is most likely a bug. 

1 hour ago, Chris Downs said:

Now try copying multiple files at once. It's more about picking the optimum drive for a given transfer at a given moment, than maximum single-transfer speed.

I tried that and did not get much of a speed up even with 4 drives and 4 copies of all files, one copy on each drive. I copied a folder of multiple larger files and I could not tease the "secret" algorithm to bite. Nor did it seem to recognize the advantage of multiple copies when I initiated 2 different file transfers. Picking optimum drives is ok if it is intended. Constantly switching between drives and reading then from random drives at 5 megabytes per second and 130 mb/second from other drives in a completely unpredictable random like fashion for a single large file transfer rakes of a big fat bug. 

But I understand that the overall intend seems to be different from optimizing throughput (though it's still not clear to me what the intend really is judging from the actual behavior of the software). 

This is not RAID striping and doesn't claim to be. When you did your 2 transfers, did each transfer reach the speed of ONE drive? If so, that's working as intended. If you only got half then you may have an issue. ie, was it 150M/s per transfer, or was it more like 75M/s each? Theoretically, if you have 4x copies of your files, then you should be able to transfer 4 *different* files at the same time at near the top speed of each drive (not the combined speeds) - assuming the SATA interface can handle the IO.

You said it yourself: your drives are identical models, and therefore have almost identical latency and performance, so of course the algorithm will flick between them as the tiny differences fluctuate. It makes no difference to the final resulting transfer speed, which will be the speed of the disk the file is currently being read from. A case could be made for adjusting the sensitivity perhaps, for power-saving reasons, but otherwise I can't see a bug here. Worst case, a feature request for tweaking a system to the most power-saving setup possible (if you don't want to wake 4 drives from standby to transfer 1 file, for example).

If you need the fastest possible transfer speed for an individual transfer, then you need SSDs or RAID. (Incidentally, did you know you can use smaller SSDs as "landing drives" in Drivepool? Available as a free plugin, which really helps with write speeds).

27 minutes ago, Chris Downs said:

This is not RAID striping and doesn't claim to be. When you did your 2 transfers, did each transfer reach the speed of ONE drive? If so, that's working as intended. If you only got half then you may have an issue. ie, was it 150M/s per transfer, or was it more like 75M/s each? Theoretically, if you have 4x copies of your files, then you should be able to transfer 4 *different* files at the same time at near the top speed of each drive (not the combined speeds) - assuming the SATA interface can handle the IO.

You said it yourself: your drives are identical models, and therefore have almost identical latency and performance, so of course the algorithm will flick between them as the tiny differences fluctuate. It makes no difference to the final resulting transfer speed, which will be the speed of the disk the file is currently being read from. A case could be made for adjusting the sensitivity perhaps, for power-saving reasons, but otherwise I can't see a bug here. Worst case, a feature request for tweaking a system to the most power-saving setup possible (if you don't want to wake 4 drives from standby to transfer 1 file, for example).

If you need the fastest possible transfer speed for an individual transfer, then you need SSDs or RAID. (Incidentally, did you know you can use smaller SSDs as "landing drives" in Drivepool? Available as a free plugin, which really helps with write speeds).

This is what is written on the website :"read striping : when reading a duplicated file, StableBit DrivePool can read from multiple hard drives at the same time in order to achieve better performance" 

Without wanting to engage in word plays the advertised feature describes exactly read striping across mirrors for individual file reads (notice the use of singular in the feature description of "file" . It clearly advertises performance improvements, read,  throughput, of single individual file reads. 

Well, you mentioned this is not the case with this app and for that I am thankful as it has become clear that this software app is not solving my problem. I need reasonably fast read speeds over large data sets, large enough that SSDs cannot be considered, with the requirement of some basic resiliency. Drive pool unfortunately does not provide the hoped for read throughput on individual file transfers. 

Why I bothered to in detail describe the behavior I experienced was because the algorithm is way too sensitive (I argue its borderline buggy) to small changes in various variables that cause the algorithm to switch from drive to drive during single file reads with zero other overhead. If some windows internal process or S. M. A. R. T probes the disks and that throws the algorithm off guard then I consider that a bug. At least I as senior developer see zero reason why not to improve the algorithm and offer a feature that enforces concurrent single file reads from all available copies. It looks to me that the app is already capable of performing striped reads it is just that the algorithm seems to currently overweigh availability to multiple transfers over single transfer optimization . Given my assessment is true then this is something a capable developer can solve in a few days and it would offer a feature hardly any other competitor offers. (read striping across user specified numbers of mirrors at throughout that approach n * single disk throughput.) 

Good day, been away a little.

@Matt173 Yeah, something's not quite right with Read-Stripping, i.e. It hardly ever strips. But don't use the DrivePool UI, load-up Resource Monitor and switch to the disks, then start a large file copy to the SSD. You will see that it mostly ever reads from a single disk (I get a 12.5% speed increase with stripping enabled, I was expecting at least 50% (not 100% like a RAID.)) Look at the bar graphs too, you can see easily that it works 1 disk at a time. I wish you'd replied to the thread I started about this; I did ask everyone about their read-stripping performance there. Have a look at the thread, I explain how I think it should work, roughly, and why I think something's wrong. I talk about stripping performance in the Placement Rules thread as well.

What Performance do you get from stripping

Placement Rules (and initial remarks on stripping performance)

@Chris Downs This is not RAID striping and doesn't claim to be. When you did your 2 transfers, did each transfer reach the speed of ONE drive? If so, that's working as intended.

What Matt did is copy several large files (so 1 file at a time) to a much faster disk. The fact that he got the transfer speed of 1 drive clearly means stripping does not work. Selecting a real hard disk over a duplicate copy on a USB drive is not read-stripping, it is simply being intelligent about selecting a source. Requesting read I/O on BOTH of these drives at the same time is read-stripping. And DrivePool is supposed to be really smart about this too, it will send most of the I/O to the real disk when the copy is on USB. The problem we see is that when both copies are on real disks, is STILL sends most of the I/O to a single disk, this is not exactly optimal.

Regards,

1 hour ago, B00ze said:

Good day, been away a little.

@Matt173 Yeah, something's not quite right with Read-Stripping, i.e. It hardly ever strips. But don't use the DrivePool UI, load-up Resource Monitor and switch to the disks, then start a large file copy to the SSD. You will see that it mostly ever reads from a single disk (I get a 12.5% speed increase with stripping enabled, I was expecting at least 50% (not 100% like a RAID.)) Look at the bar graphs too, you can see easily that it works 1 disk at a time. I wish you'd replied to the thread I started about this; I did ask everyone about their read-stripping performance there. Have a look at the thread, I explain how I think it should work, roughly, and why I think something's wrong. I talk about stripping performance in the Placement Rules thread as well.

What Performance do you get from stripping

Placement Rules (and initial remarks on stripping performance)

What Matt did is copy several large files (so 1 file at a time) to a much faster disk. The fact that he got the transfer speed of 1 drive clearly means stripping does not work. Selecting a real hard disk over a duplicate copy on a USB drive is not read-stripping, it is simply being intelligent about selecting a source. Requesting read I/O on BOTH of these drives at the same time is read-stripping. And DrivePool is supposed to be really smart about this too, it will send most of the I/O to the real disk when the copy is on USB. The problem we see is that when both copies are on real disks, is STILL sends most of the I/O to a single disk, this is not exactly optimal.

Regards,

Well, thanks for chiming in. In fact I first came across your thread when I searched for a solution to my problem and I only considered DrivePool after you were assured in your thread that a beta version at that time would resolve the problems. Apparently not much changed since then. 

Having processed all information and thoughts my conclusion on Drive Pool and Read Striping is as follows: DrivePool intends to be intelligent about selecting the fastest drive for each individual thread that requests reads. And it does seem to work. When two threads or more request data concurrently then DrivePool also seems to do a decent job to service those requests given mirrored data is available. That is all fine. But, calling it even in the remotest Read Striping is at best misleading and false. 

And I noticed that apparently the owners of this product do not have any intention to add or improve on this feature because several threads, yours included, came across as being silenced with word interpretations and subsequent silence. Its great that DrivePool offers a feature that parallelizes multiple concurrent read requests concurrently. But that is NOT read striping and should not be called as such. Also, the algorithm is way too sensitive about availability and I/O. The understanding I got from explanations by DrivePool owners/reps is that high priority is given to availability. That, however, does not serve anyone and is not even how Windows does it. Windows is very eager in its I/O and bandwidth consumption on reads. It does not leave much overhead for other processes to consume resources when Windows issues a read request on a single resource such as a disk. And that is good that way because it maximizes throughput for the first-come-first served requester. 

I put this one down as a classic tale of developer arrogance vs subservient owner/management as can be seen in many ventures. Instead of management driving consumer demand and instructing developers what to do , here apparently you have a knowledgeable developer hedge hogging the entire product because he/she believes and insists that his/her work and ideas must be right and by default better than what the consumers demand. Each time  Christopher was confronted with hard cold facts and figures (which by the way, Christopher, users actually wasted time on and did mostly in their quest to make YOUR product better, something they don't get paid for but YOU), Christopher promised to get back to the developer and was either never again heard from or replied that the developer insisted the current way was the right way to go about things.

No, it is NOT the right way about going things, and I took the time to provide screenshots, test figures, numbers, and facts. Yet, the fact that for a single read DrivePool constantly switches in sub-second fashion from one to another drive, sometimes 2 drives together, sometimes one drive reads at 100 megs/sec , the other drive at 5 meg/sec and so on. That makes zero sense and is a bug or just plain oversight and the wrong way about going things. I am not working at that company so in the end I have to rest my case and as communicated I decided to move on to another product. But the way management handled cases such as this leaves a bitter aftertaste. But then I tend to be a perfectionist and kind of hold others often to similar standards, which is obviously wrong. I do not know, maybe the community of DrivePool at large loves the current way mirrored reads are done, who knows. I cannot for the love of God figure out why that would be the case but this is for management to know and decide. 

I rest my case. 

Hi @Matt173.

You know, I haven't really tried to send concurrent requests for multiple files, to see if it would spread the load to multiple disks; it's a good question (I'll take your answer that it does a good job of it.) I do think that something's not quite right with the stripping. Like you say, it tries to be intelligent about it - it has no choice, it lets you add network shares to the pool (kinda nuts if you ask me, but very popular, Christopher uses that (I think)) EDIT: It does not let you add network shares - so it has to have all kinds of logic to try and be intelligent. I can't tell exactly where the bug is. I think also that the driver is single threaded, so there may be limitations in that. I discussed this with Christopher in private, and Alex is supposed to write a Nuts & Bolts article about how stripping works. I am hoping we can reply and discuss (certainly with Christopher, but maybe Alex can chime in too.) You have to remember that he is the sole programmer, and that they have embarked on another project (CloudDrive) which will require constant development as cloud provider API change and as providers come and go. We just have to be patient. What other product are you trying?

Regards,

13 minutes ago, B00ze said:

Hi @Matt173.

You know, I haven't really tried to send concurrent requests for multiple files, to see if it would spread the load to multiple disks; it's a good question (I'll take your answer that it does a good job of it.) I do think that something's not quite right with the stripping. Like you say, it tries to be intelligent about it - it has no choice, it lets you add network shares to the pool (kinda nuts if you ask me, but very popular, Christopher uses that) so it has to have all kinds of logic to try and be intelligent. I can't tell exactly where the bug is. I think also that the driver is single threaded, so there may be limitations in that. I discussed this with Christopher in private, and Alex is supposed to write a Nuts & Bolts article about how stripping works. I am hoping we can reply and discuss (certainly with Christopher, but maybe Alex can chime in too.) You have to remember that he is the sole programmer, and that they have embarked on another project (CloudDrive) which will require constant development as cloud provider API change and as providers come and go. We just have to be patient. What other product are you trying?

Regards,

I went with FreeNas on a VM and disk pass through. It provides resiliency in my current setup but also performs well on read striping across mirrors. I know my use case is very specific and unorthodox in that I have 4 copies on 4 different drives but as initially mentioned I do not care about capacity because a single drive capacity is sufficient for what I need. Aso, FreeNas is a pretty mature product and it works so far very well with my 10Gbe network and read performance on 4 HDD disks exceeds 600 megabytes/second (my 4TB Enterprise disks have sequential read performance of 170 megabytes/sec each. ) 

@Matt173 600 MB/s is very good for 4 drives, especially since you say your drives do 170MB/s on their own; you are very close to RAID0 performance (I'm not really familiar with FreeNAS, I just quickly Googled it, but I did see it can do RAID0 or Mirrors like RAID1.) So you run a VM on the same machine, and read the disks through a virtual network adapter? Amazing, I would've tried something like FlexRAID first, I wouldn't ever have thought of running a NAS in a VM lol. As for your use case, I don't find it unorthodox. You needed stripping and duplication and obviously did not want or could not use a RAID or that's what you'd be using. I guess most people use DrivePool to do JBOD, but since it's supposed to do stripping, using it for performance is legitimate I think. Alright, I'm going to bed ;-)

Regards,

On 4/11/2018 at 11:26 PM, B00ze said:

I guess most people use DrivePool to do JBOD, but since it's supposed to do stripping, using it for performance is legitimate I think

To be blunt here, the read striping in StableBit DrivePool will never be as good as a striped array.  

The main difference here, is that for a block based RAID type solution, you read the file on the file system, which translates to an LBA location on the array.  The controller converts that to locations on the physical disks, and sequential blocks will alternate controllers.

For StableBit DrivePool, you read from the file, the pool driver determines which mode to use.  If it uses true striping, then it reads both of the underlying files, and then reads sections from those files.   

So the speed is not going to be as good, especially as we hit the file system filters on the system three times (once for the pool, and then once for each actual file).   

So while the speeds may get a bit better than a single disk, it's not going to be RAID like. 

Hi Christopher.

I agree that DrivePool cannot be as fast as a stripped array, but unless Alex explains where the difficulty lies (and it's quite possible there *is* a big difficulty,) I am for now convinced it can do better than 10% improvement reading the same file on 2 drives. I'm pretty sure we can cook-up a simple test program that sends a read for a MB off to drive 1 and then immediately sends a read for the next MB off to drive 2 (using ASync I/O so both reads go off and then the program sleeps,) and so on, and achieve respectable results. I don't know, maybe the driver cannot do ASync I/O? There is a difficulty somewhere, because DrivePool isn't really using more than 1 drive at a time...

Wouldn't it be great if DrivePool could be used for cases like Matt's, where someone bought the program JUST to improve performance while also being able to read the drives like plain old NTFS volumes? That's why I said it's a legitimate use-case - i.e. unless there is some big difficulty making it impossible to do any better than now, then better performance should be something you should think about; it would improve the uses for DrivePool.

PS: Been using DP for some time now; no problems to report except a little hiccup the other day. Works great!

That ticket is private, i.e. I cannot see the details. But I think 1 MB is a good chunk size; I'm not sure increasing it would make a difference (not knowing how read-stripping works, I cannot say.) So long as you remember you have a Nuts-n-Bolts to do on this, I'm good; we can discuss once it's published. Of course you could push and push and push for better performance, lol, but I'm okay waiting until someone @ StableBit decides now is the time to tackle this.

Thanks again for being here! Regards,