Putting only specific folders/files on specific drives/sub-pools

backpackhasjetz

Question

Hey folks, I've stumbled around on this for the past few days, and I'm ready to give up. I think I just don't understand something fundamentally.

I have two pools. One with spinning disks, another with all of my SSDs. The SSD pool has no files on it - totally empty.

All of my games/media/etc is on the spinning disk pool. I would like to be able to add the SSD pool to the spinning disk pool (sub-pool). But I only want specific folders/files to be put on that SSD pool. Nothing else.

How can I accomplish this correctly? I tried using the "Drive Placement Rules" plugin - setting the SSD pool as not used for duplicated or unduplicated files - and then adding a "File Placement" rule for the specific folder, and checking only the SSD pool there. It winds up with DrivePool saying "xx GB could not be moved because a suitable destination could not be found.." - or if I change the order of the rules - it seems to work - but then it's constantly complaining about the balance being out of whack (because it wants to put stuff on the SSD sub-pool but my rule isn't allowing it).

Any help would be appreciated!

I guess if all else fails, I can go back to what I was doing originally - just two separate pools with separate drive letters - just was hoping to be able to "hot move" certain folders/files to faster drives when desired without changing their paths.

1 answer to this question

Well, there are a couple of ways to do this, and it depends on the number of disks.

For instance, I have an NVMe SSD and a spinning hard drive in my system. 
Both are in the pool, but I use the "Disk Usage Limiter" balancer to force unduplicated data off of the SSD.  Then I enable duplication for the data that I want on both the spinning disk and the NVMe drive.

You could do similar by adding the pool of local disks to a new pool, along with the SSD (so it's the SSD and a pool in this pool).  And this sounds like it may be the simplest option.