Drivepool not respecting balancing rules

scutzi128

Question

For some reason drivepool will not respect the limits I put on some drives and will fill them completely up.  I have the balancer set to only fill to 98% or 25gb free yet some drives have less then 1gb free. I am running windows 8.1 x64 . See attached screenshots for what exactly I am talking about.

balancers.PNG.086eebac6b4c3ee0c7f17494db22cf6d.PNG

drives1.thumb.png.2871d18937f6e3d29dc57cc899332d3d.png

drives2.thumb.png.5385541e4923c4f5bb5e73f406b77cc2.png

drives3.thumb.png.820150247bd9ac01ddf708a497843725.png

5 answers to this question

To clarify, the issue is that it has less than the specified limits free? 

If so, this can happen sometimes, as files don't necessarily perfectly fit.  And IIRC, there isn't a good solution that doesn't require excessive balancing.

However, you could use the Prevent Drive Overfill balancer to handle this.  Set the "Drive Emptying options" to match the above (98% and 25GB free), and set the Drive Fill options to 99%, and 20GB free.  

This should help FORCE this to be balanced properly, but may cause your pool to balance more frequently.

I understand slight variances but having a 25gb limit set and filling the drive to under 1gb free space doesn't make a ton of sense to me. l am gonna try the prevent drive overfill plugin. Should that plugin be priority #1?

Edit: This is how I have it setup.

balancer.PNG

balancer2.PNG

Edit:2 Thanks looks like that resolved it!