Use SSD drives for reads

yerep

Question

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding Drivepool's use of HDDs and SSDs in the same pool.

My setup is a pool with a mix of HDDs and SSDs. I have my pool set to 2x duplication, and as space on the SSDs is limited, I have file rules set up so that games I am currently playing store one of their duplicates on the SSDs.

However, when running a game, it looks like Drivepool will still try and load some data off of the HDDs, even if the SSDs are idle. Is there a better way to do what I am trying to achieve?

Is there an option to "prefer" reads off of an SSD if the requested file is on one? Would this be difficult to implement? (obviously this would bypass drive busy/active wait time logic)

I dont want to disable duplication for my game data, but if that's the only way to make sure they are loaded off of the SSDs it seems like a sub-optimal compromise to have to make considering all the other complicated logic that Drivepool does :(

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Read Striping is enabled, right? 
If so, that can happen, in two cases: 

• If it's doing actual striping, and reading from both drivess.
  • If DrivePool thinks that the SSD is too busy. 

But if you would, enable tracing, reproduce, and submit the logs. 
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Thanks for your response, amazing software :D

Yep, read striping is enabled - admittedly it wasn't a very scientific test, however I was keeping an eye on task manager whilst loading the game, and whereas before it would insta-load from my SSD, it took significantly longer after running it after it was added to the pool and duplicated across the HDDs.

Would you be able to shed some light on how drivepool assumes a drive is "busy"? Presumably this works well when the pool is made up of all HDDs or SSDs, but mixing the two may mean that it may "assume" an SSD is busy, when actually it would save time waiting for it to become available again because of the much faster read speeds?