DrivePool Folder Dupe to SnapRaid

Fiala06

Question

Just want to run this by you guys to see if I'm missing something before I screw something up :)

I've been using Pool file Duplication and love it but as you know downside is you can only use 1/2 your total volume. So just learned you can use SnapRaid for a weekly back up (or what ever time frame you chose)

Here is my current system and snapconfig I just created.

I'm assuming once I uncheck "Pool file duplication" it will delete the dupes? Than I can move everything off the J: drive to use as my parity?

5 answers to this question

Yes, if you disable Pool file Duplication, it will unduplicate the entire pool, assuming you don't have custom duplication settings.

and when you set it, it will run a duplication pass and delete the extra copy.  

and you should be able to remove the J:\ drive at any time, though. 

Also, assuming that SnapRAID uses a single, large file, you may want to reformat the J:\ drive to use larger allocation units. 

1 hour ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Also, if you wanted, you could remove J:\ now, use the "Duplicate data later" option, disable duplication, and then format the J:\ drive.  It would save you a good chunk of time. I think. 

Seen this too late. I'm in it for the long haul... 4% in an hour! xD