Duplicate/Broken NTFS Security

B00ze

Question

Hi.

I searched the forum but did not see anything about this: On Win7, when I check NTFS security on any FOLDER (works fine on files) in the pool, it tells me the ACEs are incorrectly ordered, and if I keep going, I basically get 2x every permission, but they are all "Special" - one is inherited and one is applying to the folder itself. It won't let me edit the permissions without letting it "correct" them, but I haven't gone that far yet (see Pool-Permissions). If I check the underlying permissions, directly from the disk where the folder is located, they are also broken (see Underlying-Permissions).

What is happening? I don't recall doing anything special to cause this...

Regards,

9 answers to this question

You're pooled drives were seeded?  Eg, formatted before adding it to the pool? 

If so, that may be why. Reapplying the permissions will fix the issue but may require that you take ownership first.

But just in case, could you enable file system logging, and reproduce the issue:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

And after that, you can reset the permissions:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455

This is meant for the whole pool, but can be applied to specific folders, as well.

Hi Christopher.

Yeah, I formatted the drives first, then created the pool.

Well, I have ownership of the folders/files, it's just that permissions are all funky. So today I picked an empty folder that I'd created using Explorer when I first setup the pool and told Explorer to go ahead and re-order the permissions so I could view them. All those "Special" permissions were all just Full Control, and every folder was split between inherited permissions applying to subfolders and files, and own permissions applying to the folder itself; really weird. The permissions on the Poolpart folders were OK (all inherited) but every folder inside was funky.

So I shutdown the DrivePool service and replaced all permissions to all children with inherited permissions. Restarted the service and created a folder inside the pool -> It has correct permissions. Tried to robocopy some files/folders into it (this is how I loaded my data onto the pool) -> Everything is fine.

I guess we can put this as a bug with Beta 890; cannot reproduce anymore.

Best Regards,

Ohhh, I should've turned on logging and at least created 1 sub-folder, before resetting permissions. Permissions on the PoolPart folders looked fine, so it's not like it was replicating a problem from above. Maybe I should've looked at that more closely, with Subinacl and Setacl and iCAcls. I was so sure I was going to be able to reproduce, I just wiped all permissions before thinking. Sorry. Did you try to reproduce? Just format 2 drives, create a pool then create a folder inside. If we cannot reproduce, it will be hard to pinpoint the cause. Darn darn darn, I should not have cleared the permissions!

Got another bug yesterday: As I logged on another user (ie. 2 users at once) Windows told me the recycle bin on the pool was corrupted. I told it to ignore this and show me the contents anyway and it looked fine. Since it kept pestering me about it, I finally gave in and told it to go ahead and empty the trash like it was asking me to - it did not empty at all, but it stopped telling me it was corrupted. If it happens again I'll take a closer look. It does say it's corrupted sometimes, even on plain NTFS volumes...

Best Regards,

On 3/7/2018 at 3:41 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Well, I saw it on 903, actually.  

But it looks like once you reset the permissions, it doesn't come back.  And it seems to be a Win7 specific issue 

I am getting this as well on assorted folders but VERY infrequently. Like I will go to a location that has not been accessed a very long time - say 6 months - go to create a folder and Windows complains that the folder cannot be created - then I check the parent folder properties and get various messages about permissions being in the wrong order etc etc. But this is happening on Windows 10 as well.

I did run Windows 7 on this machine about a year ago and pool was created well before that. Would a "reset permissions" session be in order here? And would I apply it to the entire pool?

My concern is that I am running my pool using drive points - so on my Windows 2012R2 server - it's one giant 14.5TB D drive. I am sensing this could take a long time to reset?

Appreciate any comments or tips before I attempt this.

Sonic. 

7 hours ago, Sonicmojo said:

I did run Windows 7 on this machine about a year ago and pool was created well before that. Would a "reset permissions" session be in order here? And would I apply it to the entire pool?

It wouldn't hurt.And yeah, I'd say apply it to the entire pool, just to be safe.

My concern is that I am running my pool using drive points - so on my Windows 2012R2 server - it's one giant 14.5TB D drive. I am sensing this could take a long time to reset?

Yes.  It has to apply this to each and every folder.  So that may take hours to complete. 

Appreciate any comments or tips before I attempt this.

Other than: 
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455

And other than maybe to this overnight, or before going to work? No. 

Good day.

I doubt resetting permissions will take "all night" on a 15TB pool, unless you have millions of smallish files (then yeah, it could take a while). If your pool is filled with large video files it won't take too long to reset all permissions. What I did is I edited permissions on the Poolpart folders, did not change them (they are inherited from the root of the drive) but put the little check-mark where it says to replace child permissions. My pool is pretty much empty right now (500GB) so it took only like a minute per drive.

By the way Christopher, you are right, the problem with the Recycle Bin(s) was the permissions. When Windows told me a second time that the bin was corrupted (there is 1 sub-folder for each user, per drive, so it was going to bug me about this a lot) I went to the console and deleted all the user folders from all drives; problem solved.

Best Regards,

Well, the permissions have to be applied to every folder and file.  If you have mostly large videos, it should complete fairly quickly. But if you had primarily images and text files, it could take a LOT longer to complete.  So it really depends on the capacity and composition of the pool/drive.