Randomize file placement

phhowe17

Question

I have a pool with 8 drives. I frequently am unzipping large archives or converting .RAR files to actual folders/files.  When I do this, frequently the output is being written back to the same disk, or just a single disk leaving the other 7 disks idle.  Is there a way to ensure that more than one disk is involved to speed things up?   I considered using a placement rule for .zip and .r0xx files, but that just puts those files on one drive but doesn't assure that the outputs will end up on a different disk.

4 answers to this question

I've see that asked before, but don't recall if there is a solution. DrivePool will write to the least-full disk, so if the disk where the Zip is located is the one with the most free space, that's where the unzipped files will go.

It wouldn't really help.  The limiting factor is doing to be how fast the software can read the archive, and how the software parses that information.  

Because by default, StableBit DrivePool placesed new files on the disk with the most available free space. This would, in theory, spreads out the new files on multiple different drives, which sounds like what you want. 

But most archiving software is very much single threaded, when it comes to extraction.  So, there isn't anything we can really do.