Recommended settings for a clouddrive for music files

irepressed

Question

I will add a new clouddrive to host all my music files, ripped from my personal CD collection.

What would be the best settings for my drive to ensure the fastest transfer for small files (5 to 10mb) and also help in using this same drive for streaming my music from my Plex server.

I've seen recommandations for Linux ISOs or other big files, but I did not see any recommended settings for mp3s.

Sector sze, storage chunk size, chunk cache, what would you recommend?

One extra newbie question: does Clouddrive provide standard encrypton at a lower level, even if Full Drive encryption is not selected? I'm asking since I do not remember checking this option for other drives that I have, but if I go to my Google Drive account, I do see Stablebit folders with bits and pieces meaning nothing.  Does this mean that I had checked Full drive encryption for my other drives?

Thanks for the help.

3 answers to this question

Honestly, the default settings should be fine, for this. 

16 hours ago, irepressed said:

does Clouddrive provide standard encrypton at a lower level, even if Full Drive encryption is not selected?

"yes and no".  All of the data is at least obfuscated, as we store disk data on the provider, and not the files. 
And if checksum verification was enabled (it is by default), then there is a checksum block for every chunk stored on the provider, adding to that obfuscation.

However, from certain providers, to help prevent errant "header detection" (eg, where it reads the first "x bytes" to determine file type), we do encrypt the data with a super simple encryption key. 

And yes, Google Drive is definitely one of the providers that we do this for. 

16 hours ago, irepressed said:

but if I go to my Google Drive account, I do see Stablebit folders with bits and pieces meaning nothing.  Does this mean that I had checked Full drive encryption for my other drives?

All drives are stored this way, on all of the providers.  We never store the actual files on the provider, directly.  We store disk data on the provider.

And by "disk data", I mean that the software creates a virtual drive, and the files are written to this drive, like a physical disk.  And then we take blocks/chunks of the drive, and upload those.  

So the data is always obfuscated on the provider.