Unknown HardDiskVolume number

SekriT

Question

Drivepool is stuck with an error.  See the log below.  There is no HarddiskVolume21 in my system. The highest disk volume number is Volume12.  Drivepool 2.2.0.904RC erros out with "The system cannot find the path specified".  Windows cannot delete these 2 files either since it gets the same error. 

Drivepool 2.2.0.904RC

Windows 10 64bit 1709

2:12:58.8: Warning: 0 : [FileDuplication] Error checking file \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume21\Server\Documents\User\AKatie newsletters\image_files\ca for duplication consistency. The system cannot find the path specified
2:12:58.8: Warning: 0 : [FileDuplication] Error checking file \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume21\Server\Documents\User\AKatie newsletters\image_files\get-user-id for duplication consistency. The system cannot find the path specified
2:13:00.8: Information: 0 : [FsControl] Set overall pool mode: PoolModeNoReportIncomplete (lastKey=FileDuplication, pool=ded0f59c-7d14-4d67-99f1-41b08f426777)
2:13:00.9: Information: 0 : [Rebalance] Setting Background I/O priority

5 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Could you run the StableBit Troubleshooter: 
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

And use "3470" for the Contact ID request?

Thanks for your quick response.  I tried several ways to delete those rogue files and at the end, using the Goodsync file synchronization app did it over the network share. No idea how the disk volume number was such an aberrant number but I doubt this was a Drivepool issue which is working fine now.  

Oh, man, the whole disk/volume/partition identification stuff is a nightmare.   And a large part of that is because it's inconsistent with other parts of the OS.  So determining what is what can lead to serious headaches.  

That said, i think the volume in question was the pool drive, actually.  IIRC, msinfo32 exposes some of this.
And you can run "fltmc volumes" to see this as well. 

But using GoodSync probably overwrote the files and reset permissions, and fixed things.  So ....  I'm glad to hear it's sorted out.

however, just in case, i would recommend checking all the disks (via CHKDSK). Or if you have StableBit Scanner installed, then wait for it to run a file system scan). 

1 hour ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Oh, man, the whole disk/volume/partition identification stuff is a nightmare.   And a large part of that is because it's inconsistent with other parts of the OS.  So determining what is what can lead to serious headaches.  

That said, i think the volume in question was the pool drive, actually.  IIRC, msinfo32 exposes some of this.
And you can run "fltmc volumes" to see this as well. 

But using GoodSync probably overwrote the files and reset permissions, and fixed things.  So ....  I'm glad to hear it's sorted out.

however, just in case, i would recommend checking all the disks (via CHKDSK). Or if you have StableBit Scanner installed, then wait for it to run a file system scan). 

Chkdsk was the first thing I did on the server and did not reveal any errors.  Will do a full scan of the all drives.    However, the disk on the source workstation showed a few errors.  So, it is probable that rogue files were carried over to the server. I am surprised that Goodsync was able copy over the smb share and also to delete them on the server. 

Diskpool Volume number was 12.  

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
  Volume 0     C   System       NTFS   Partition    118 GB  Healthy    Boot
  Volume 1         Recovery     NTFS   Partition    499 MB  Healthy    Hidden
  Volume 2                                  FAT32  Partition    100 MB  Healthy    System
  Volume 3     H   HGST-6T      NTFS   Partition   5588 GB  Healthy
  Volume 4     O   WDES_8_2     NTFS   Partition   7452 GB  Healthy
  Volume 5     D   HGST-6T      NTFS   Partition   5588 GB  Healthy
  Volume 6     E   WD-4T_1      NTFS   Partition   3725 GB  Healthy
  Volume 7     F   WD-4T_2      NTFS   Partition   3725 GB  Healthy
  Volume 8     L   HGST-5T      NTFS   Partition   4657 GB  Healthy
  Volume 9     N   WDES_8_1     NTFS   Partition   7452 GB  Healthy
  Volume 10    J   WD-6T_1      NTFS   Partition   5588 GB  Healthy
  Volume 11    K   WD-4T_4      NTFS   Partition   3725 GB  Healthy
  Volume 12    G   DrivePool    NTFS   Partition   2047 GB  Healthy

BTW, Diskpart reports the Pool size incorrectly. 

22 hours ago, SekriT said:

Chkdsk was the first thing I did on the server and did not reveal any errors.  Will do a full scan of the all drives.    However, the disk on the source workstation showed a few errors.  So, it is probable that rogue files were carried over to the server. I am surprised that Goodsync was able copy over the smb share and also to delete them on the server. 

Okay.  I recommend CHKDSK, as it can fix "odd issues" sometimes.  and since not everyone does this, it's worth saying, IMO. 

Diskpool Volume number was 12.  

Yeah, but these volume numbers may not be what are used elsewhere.  
For instance, try running "fltmc volumes" on the system, and check that.

i'd post mine, but with 30 disks .... it's cluttered. 

BTW, Diskpart reports the Pool size incorrectly. 

that's normal, because of how the disks work. 

IIRC, it's a timing issue. The kernel needs a disk size when all of the disks are mounting, and since we can't query the other disks quite yet, we need an arbitrary number.   Everywhere else, the value is correctly displayed, even when this isn't.