Drive pool questions

PetabytesPlease

Question

Firstly how would drive pool react if i wanted to use a folder-blocker/hider like "my lock box" for security/privacy that was spanned across two or more disks?

Also how would drive pool react if i were to download via P2P across two or more disks; i remember hearing about downloads were not working correctly with utorrent when using a drive pool as the download directory

1 answer to this question

Honestly, it depends on exactly how it works.  If you have a product in mind, we can test it out. 

That said, it should work, but it may cause issues with some tasks (measuring, balancing, drive removal).  

As for security, there are much better (built in) ways to do this, as opposed to "security through obscurity".  Not using an administrative account, locking down the NTFS permissions, and creating separate accounts for download software to run in are good ways to secure your system and to keep it safe. 

As for utorrent, you should be fine to use that or other P2P software on the pool.  However, we do recommend enabling pre-allocation of files to prevent free space issues. 

Though, personally, I recommend a separate drive for downloads that are copied/moved over to the pool later, as this prevents some odd NTFS permission issues from occurring.