Portable Device / Driver Issue in Windows 10 (Code 10)

fattipants2016

Question

So I suspect this may be a Windows problem and not a DrivePool problem, but hopefully someone here has experienced something similar...

I have 4 physical drives in an external USB enclosure. 3 are members of my pool, the 4th is SnapRAID parity data.

Aside from the 3 pool members, the 4 discs are mounted to NTFS subfolders inside of /SnapRAID/ but have no drive letters assigned.

DrivePool and SnapRAID are both happy. Windows is not. I have multiple warnings, and my event log is SPAMMED with device driver errors.

Assigning drive letters to one or more of these physical discs (while keeping folder mount points) alleviates the problem.

Once the drive letters are removed, and I reboot the computer, the errors are back.

If anyone knows what I can try to make this madness stop, I'd be mighty grateful.

Screen grab of what the errors look like: HERE

Error log snippet:

02/07/2018 23:43:31,Error,Disk,The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\DR5.
02/07/2018 23:43:31,Error,Disk,The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk6\DR6.

5 answers to this question

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

I'm going to have to go digging then.  

I know similar has happened in the past, ...

That would be me.  My disks are mounted to folders on the system drive, not to drive letters, and I get device manager errors on all of their removable device entries.

I have lots of disks (10) and also lots of already used drive letters.  I still have enough drive letters left over to assign to the disks but would prefer to see this fixed in some way.  I always have an action center icon with a warning about the errors, so even though the errors seem to be harmless I a constantly wondering whether the action center icon is warning me about this phantom error or whether its something else I need to worry about.