Covecube Inc.
B00ze

Removing a disk (continued)

Question

Good day.

Ok, so I was testing DrivePool, created a pool on 2 drives, did some tests, all good. So now I need to get rid of the pool, destroy the raid so that I have 3 disks again, and create a new pool. No problem I thought, I'll just rename the poolpart folders and restart the service -> What happens when you do this is that yes, the pool disappears, but Drivepool REMEMBERs those disks, they do NOT become available to create a new pool with! So it is a bit like with dpcmd ignore-poolpart, it marks the disks and will not re-use them. I think there should be a way to destroy a pool and leave everything where it is, without marking the disks as "do not reUse." What I could've done is wipe ProgramData\Stablebit, but what I ended-up doing is I removed the disk with the least amount of data, let DP move the data to the remaining (much bigger) disk, and then removed that final disk. A "Delete Pool" choice in the UI would've been nice.

Best Regards,

7 answers to this question

I tried that already, I stopped the service and renamed the poolpart folders, but when I restarted the service (the pool drive went away) and opened DrivePool, both drives were missing from the list; I could not create a new pool with them. You think this is a bug?

did you recycle or delete the folders? 

I've seen it do this when only recycled, but deleting? I've tested it out and basically wrote a guide about it:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_F1655

Also, the "ignore" command should be ran when the service is running. 

Hi Christopher.

Hmmm, maybe I should leave the service running? I had renamed the poolparts with the service down, and upon restarting the service, the pool drive disappeared but the 2 drives were no longer available to create a new pool. Tonight I tried again, created a pool, stopped the service, SHIFT-DELETED both poolparts, restarted the service: The pool drive disappeared, but both drives were no longer listed as available to create a pool with. I rebooted but no change. Looked at dpcmd options but nothing worked. I basically had to un-install DrivePool, delete the ProgramData and re-install. I am using release 890 on Windows 7. It works for you? The drives re-appear in the UI, ready to be added to a pool again?

PS: Windows creates a recycle bin and a system volume information inside the pool? Annoying how it does this on every drive it finds; it could at least wait until VSS is called upon, if ever - I had to edit security to get rid of the poolpart. And noticed something else: That poolpart folder, the name is pretty long right? I ended-up with > 260 char paths, had to use LongPathFixer to delete the files (I had copied them with robocopy). I am going to have to think about this.

Regards,

Note that I did not use Ignore-Poolpart, I just renamed or deleted the folders.

I had a look at unignore-poolpart, but it wants a poolpart folder, which is difficult once the folder is deleted :-)

Regards,