Client Computer Backups folder

Dane

Question

I am trying to move my server 2012r2 essentials client computer backup folder to a local server using cloud drive file share.  The essentials server is a VM on Hyper-V and the storage server is FreeNAS stand alone (not virtualized) machine. Both are also connected to the network at 10Gbit. Now either I have something setup wrong (always a possibility) or essentials does not like something about cloud drive for this use case.   The problem I am experiencing is VERY slow transfers.  The folder has been moving for over 24 hours and has only moved about 494GB to the server with aprox 900+GB to go. I have download and upload threads set to 5 (originally default of two) with background I/O checked. Cache size is set to minimal (not sure if that is a good setting). I left all settings at default when I created the cloud drive. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

1 answer to this question

To clarify, the Client Computer Backup Database is on a cloud drive? 

If so, well, that may be part of the issue. The database gets modified a lot, with a lot of little changes.  It may be this that is causing the issue.  

My recommendation would be to keep the backup database local.  Then periodically, copy the files to another location.  This should be much better, and may avoid the issue that you're seeing.

Also, if the cache drive is almost completely full, it will throttle the connection speed to the CloudDrive disk.