New System Build Problem Drivepool Misbehaving

RJGNOW

Question

So I just started a new system build with drive pool and I've noticed that none of the disk would spin down. Not the MB drives (Asus 370-A PRIME) or on the LSI SAS 9207-8i controller. So I started investigating and I'm seeing writes to all the drives (even those not in the pool) every ~5 sec, in extremely short bursts (don't even register on the active time scale).

So pulling my hair out trying to discover which applications was causing this, I final came to DP. I stop the DP service and instantaly the writes stop. I start the service and the writes start again.

The pool is organized and at rest. I've tried turning off all balancers, ect.

I've tried the builds .896 and 903.

2018-02-04_10-09-23.thumb.png.1593b8f5fac3d0d6ff84956120b2d042.png

As you can see the F drive is not even in the pool.

2018-02-04_10-10-14.thumb.png.783c85636e21ae852a4cae67b5260b3b.png

9 answers to this question

Thanks Christopher, that stopped the "every ~5 sec. bursts.  Unfortunately still none of the drives will sleep. So looking a little deeper, using process explorer, I see the WMI service accessing all of the drives, (every second or so) but every 60 sec looks like a file operation is conducted (open) on the drives.

If I shut down the WMI service, I get a warning that 2 services rely on WMI (ip Helper and some security service) so I shut down those services and problem persists. If I shutdown the WMI service the disk access problem stops.

I have stopped every startup program and the problem persists.

I suppose I can't just leave WMI disabled. :P, so do you have any advice on finding what program is using the WMI service to access the drives?

PS: From what I've read (for you mostly), the LSI SAS 9207-8i will not allow the drives to sleep by default so I applied the registry hack here. Not sure if it actually works because of the above problem.. B)