Sudden lost files on Google Drive

mcrommert

Question

So i have been using Google drive on Cloud Drive for months and months and all of a sudden today realized when i ran a clean on my plex server that loads of files are missing.  Since i run this daily they were available yesterday and earlier today.  In one video folder every folder with a name that is after p in the alphabet is missing.  In another folder inside that same folder half the files are missing.  It only seems to affect one folder and its subfolders on the drive and i have no explanation for its disappearance.  Having done a reboot earlier today it may have happened after that reboot with the mounting of the drive, but none of the missing files are in the recycling bin and unmounting and remounting has no effect.  I have a few questions.

- Is there anything i could have done wrong and how to do i keep this from happening in the future?

- Is there a way to rescan the drive (??) in order to see if the file deletion is permanent?

-  I have all the files backed up on backblaze so thats not a big deal but should i build another drive instead of putting the files back on this drive?

Thanks for the help.

9 answers to this question

Okay did some checking...the drive mounted to my computer gives the size of the used space as 4.36 tb...this is similar to what the backblaze program reports.  When I do a simple file size calculation though it is around 3.99 tb.  Running Windirstat finds 398 gb of unknown taken space.  This gets stranger and stranger

Also realizing its not just folders about p that have the issues...some of the folders still exist but everything inside of them is gone

Well looking at some old questions on this forum i went ahead and ran a chkdsk on the drive...which gave strange information...said 75 files were orphaned and then couldn't recover them...and now the drive space looks correct so i think they might be gone forever now

chkdsk2.PNG

chkdsk.PNG

Okay will continue to update this :)  - Built new drive and transferring old contents over plus downloaded backups to rebuild...Still mostly concerned on what brought on this behaviour and what i can do to prevent it in the future.  Since the initial file disappearance there may have been more files also but probably more to do with me not seeing the extent of the files missing

Yeah i checked but the folder was never made - might be from the insufficient space message on the chkdsk
Any understanding why this could happen?  i now also see there is 101 mb that won't upload...but i'm uploading so much to reform the drive that i'm getting all sort of rate limiting and so forth

I have also moved to the rc for those features

:( 

Try running CHKDSK again,  and after that, data recovery may be a good idea.

That said, it looks like the MFT did get corrupted.  The problem with that, s the MFT is the "Master File Table", and NTFS' version of the File Allocation Tab.  So if it got corrupted, then yeah, you may have lost files.  This is an NTFS issue specifically.  But it may still be CloudDrive related. 

if this issue continues to persist, make sure you're on the latest version:
http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/rc/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.0.2.975_x64_Release.exe