Moving from WHS2011 with mirrored drives to Server 2012 with StableBit

sprtfan

Question

I've been running WHS2011 for years.  After the removal of drive extender from WHSv1, I just went to running multiple mirrored drives.  I've installed Server 2012 R2 Essentials and I want to use StableBit this time around for my redundancy.  My question is what would be the best way to get the data into StableBit?  Should I remove the mirror while in WHS2011 and then move the drives over Server 2012 R2 Essentials?  Once there, I should be able to just add them to StableBit and then set up which files I want to be duplicated? 

I'm assuming that the mirror should be removed before going to the new set up.  I guess I could also move one of each set of mirror drives into the new set up and then format the remaining drives and then add them to the pool?  I guess this would be a little faster than waiting for the mirror to be removed and also give me a back up if something happens to the first drive while moving it to the new system.  Thanks

4 answers to this question

It also depends on how you've mirrored the disks.

If you've done it on the controller, then you could add the disks, enable duplication, wait for that to finish, and then remove one array at a time, break it, re-add the disks, and repeat.

(Or just leave the arrays in the pool).

If you used Disk Management/dynamic disks.... we don't support those at the moment, so you'd need to clear those off (one "group" at a time), convert to "Basic" and then add to the pool.

Thanks, I used Disk Management and have dynamic disks.  Should I be able to pull one of the mirrored drives from my old server, install it on my new server, and then copy the folders into the drive pool then?  Once all files are copied, I can convert to Basic and add that drive into the pool?  Then go onto the next mirrored set of drives and repeat until everything is moved?