New File Placement Limit

jsbach99

Question

One of my drives now has a red upward arrow with the words "New File Placement Limit 0%". There is also a blue downward arrow with the words "Un-duplicated target for rebalancing 5b". As far as I know I've done nothing in any setting to cause this. I've done a balancing, and Drivepool seems to have moved everything from that drive. How do I get that drive usable again?

5 answers to this question

Well, the problem is that the unreadable sector indicates a critical failure, basically. 

Your drive does a bunch of stuff "under the hood" to ensure that you can always read from the disk.  It this fails, then something very wrong has happened.

And more than likely, the issue will only get worse.  So, the data is moved out of the drive in an effort to pre-emptively preserve your data.

Yes, this can be a hassle sometimes, but we have a bunch of customers that have praised us for this behavior because either during or shortly after finishing this evacuation, the problem drive failed.   Which is precisely WHY the software is configured with this behavior enabled by default. 

If you want, you can read more about this here: 
http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Disk Scanning
http://blog.covecube.com/2014/10/why-using-stablebit-scanner-is-a-good-idea/

On 2/2/2018 at 9:11 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Do you have StableBit Scanner installed on that system, and is it showing any issues (namely unreadable/damaged sectors)?

Hi! I have the same situation - Scanner shows some bad sectors, so DrivePool won't use this disc at all. Now I've deleted Scanner from system, so DrivePool could use all discs.

Does it have some option or setting - do or do not mark whole drive unusable?

Thanks.

Uninstalling Scanner does not sound like a good idea to me.

AFAIK, DP will only evacuate a drive marked by Scanner if you have the StableBit Scanner balancer add-in active in DrivePool. And if you have that add-in, it allows for a number of options, for instance, to limit the HDD to duplicated files only.