Using a DrivePool drive as Cache drive

Middge

Question

Hello again!

Recently I recreated my clouddrive, and I wanted to use my Stablebit DrivePool disk (two seperate SSD drives in a pool) as the cache drive for my Clouddrive disk. Unfortunately, it's not an option in the drop down window when choosing a cache drive. Is there a reason for this, or am I missing something?

11 answers to this question

we don't support using the Pool as a cache drive, by default.  This is because the cache is stored as a single large file. 

it's not recommended, for a number of reasons.   Such as, the cache files will always be in use, and never be able to be balanced.  This can cause issues in some configurations. 

But if you really must do this:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings#Settings.json
Set "CreateDrive_AllowCacheOnDrivePool" to "True" and reboot the system. 

17 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

we don't support using the Pool as a cache drive, by default.  This is because the cache is stored as a single large file. 

it's not recommended, for a number of reasons.   Such as, the cache files will always be in use, and never be able to be balanced.  This can cause issues in some configurations. 

But if you really must do this:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings#Settings.json
Set "CreateDrive_AllowCacheOnDrivePool" to "True" and reboot the system. 

So, I looked in "C:\ProgramData\StableBit CloudDrive\Service" and "C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service". Neither folder contains a "settings.json" file. I even checked the entirety the disk and there is not a file named "settings.json" anywhere.  :-(

Am I missing something?

There was a change at some point where when the service starts it reverts the the setting "CreateDrive_AllowCacheOnDrivePool (Default: "False") ". To get around this just set a deny write permission for the "System" user on the Settings.json file. This will prevent the System user from changing the file. Once I did that I was able to use a drivepool temporarily for my cache during my recovery process. As usual... do it at your own risk. It worked for me.

image.png.65a7d317b00002cdfa7b5f6661858655.png

It will not work..

my Settings.json

"CreateDrive_AllowCacheOnDrivePool": {
	    "Default": true,
	    "Override": null
	  },

I change System to Write deny, after i make Restart the Pool Drive is not visible für Clouddrive. The Settings.json have the correct configurationsafter restart, but is not working.

17 hours ago, CokeZero said:

It will not work..

my Settings.json

"Override": null
	  },

I change System to Write deny, after i make Restart the Pool Drive is not visible für Clouddrive. The Settings.json have the correct configurationsafter restart, but is not working.

You have to set it to the following.

"Override": true
  },