NTFS mount point question

denywinarto

Question

8 answers to this question

On 1/26/2018 at 11:30 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Ah.  Mount point's don't really matter.  To DrivePool, or Windows really. 

So unless you're intending to mount the drive on the pool's path, there should be no issue. 

Hmm something strange just happened, my server reboots (not sure why i think Teamviewer crashed it),

before reboot Drivepool was using N letter

after reboot Drivepool changes it drive letter to O, and the new drive is suddenly mounted to N.

My shares were gone, so i had to reorder the drive letters

Kinda makes me wonder whats the best way to use NTFS mount points + drivepool and prevent something like this?

Or maybe at least can i lock drivepool's drive letter somehow?

10 hours ago, denywinarto said:

after reboot Drivepool changes it drive letter to O, and the new drive is suddenly mounted to N.

Ahhh, yeah, Good ol' Windows.

This is a known issue, actually.  Windows will do this, when "adding" new drives.  It auto-assigns letters, and may bump them up.  

So a higher letter is always a good idea (I personally use "S:\" since it VERY far along, and should never be an issue). 

And mounting the pooled disks to NTFS folders (http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624) is a good way to help avoid this. Especially, as I manually partition and format disks. 

32 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Ahhh, yeah, Good ol' Windows.

This is a known issue, actually.  Windows will do this, when "adding" new drives.  It auto-assigns letters, and may bump them up.  

So a higher letter is always a good idea (I personally use "S:\" since it VERY far along, and should never be an issue). 

And mounting the pooled disks to NTFS folders (http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624) is a good way to help avoid this. Especially, as I manually partition and format disks. 

So you're saying you use S for drivepool then your drives are in NTFS folders?

For simplicity, you should use a single folder to hold all the folders. Such as "C:\DrivePool\". Then create folders inside of "C:\DrivePool\" for each drive you want to mount.

This is what i meant, then i guess the best way to do this is to have drivepool mapped to Z drive,

then the rest of the drives mounted in NTFS folders inside C:\DrivePool\?

3 minutes ago, denywinarto said:

Yes, that's exactly what I do.  And all of the pooled drives are mounted in "C:\Drives\". (well, I have a front, back, and internal folder, since I have those locations, but otherwise, exactly). 

5 minutes ago, denywinarto said:

This is what i meant, then i guess the best way to do this is to have drivepool mapped to Z drive,

then the rest of the drives mounted in NTFS folders inside C:\DrivePool\?

Pretty much, yeah.  It doesn't need to be Z:\, though.  Just as long as you have 2-3 letters between the highest used letter and the pool.  (so, in many cases, G:\ would be fine). 

Here is my system: 

5DeDvFq.png