2.2.0.900 RC potentially caused PC to brick

geezman

Question

Just a warning to anyone thinking of updating to the RC 2.2.0.900. After I installed this update and rebooted my PC, my PC would not boot into Windows and went straight into PC recovery. It MAY not be because of the upgrade, but the timing is suspect. I am in the process of trying to recover from a backup at the moment, but the first attempt was not successful. Will keep everyone posted.

11 answers to this question

Most likely, this is a badly timed coincidence. Which regardless, really, really sucks. :(

Best way to test this is to disconnect/unplug all of the pooled drives.  If it still has issues, then it's likely not DrivePool. 

Also, you should have the ability to boot into safe mode, and/or the last known good configuration.  if those work, try rebooting normally. 

4 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Most likely, this is a badly timed coincidence. Which regardless, really, really sucks. :(

Best way to test this is to disconnect/unplug all of the pooled drives.  If it still has issues, then it's likely not DrivePool. 

Also, you should have the ability to boot into safe mode, and/or the last known good configuration.  if those work, try rebooting normally. 

I agree, I don't think it was DrivePool.  I was able to restore from a backup.  I haven't updated to the RC again, but I will tomorrow.  I'm expecting it to upgrade with no issues.  I'm not sure what happened, but the system is back up at the moment and all is good.  If I have the same issue after I try upgrading tomorrow, I'll be sure to let everyone know. :)

I wasn't able to get 2.2.0.900 to install.   It hung at:
image.png.4f2632823b476b5f8855608c75618101.png

I powered down, unplugged all drivepool drives.  Powered up, and was able to complete the install.  All is well again.

I was running a nightly build from the time we had the BSoD issue fixed (after the big Windows 10 Creative update) end of last year.

41 minutes ago, JazJon said:

I wasn't able to get 2.2.0.900 to install.   It hung at:

I powered down, unplugged all drivepool drives.  Powered up, and was able to complete the install.  All is well again.

I was running a nightly build from the time we had the BSoD issue fixed (after the big Windows 10 Creative update) end of last year.

On a friend's system, it took a 10+ minutes to update, but it eventually did.  

If you could, grab the installation logs:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

Use "3405" for the Contact ID/request

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:13 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

On a friend's system, it took a 10+ minutes to update, but it eventually did.  

If you could, grab the installation logs:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

Use "3405" for the Contact ID/request

Ah, I think I probably only waited 5-8 minutes max.    I remember even with the drives unplugged it took awhile for the install to complete.

Ok installation logs sent to 3405.   (nice slick troubleshooter app!)

image.png.e11fc3d96ebd27f577b44ccd50a1184d.png

From the logs, 7 minutes, give or take.

And yeah, looks like it may have been the installer that was the issue.  I've flagge for Alex (the Developer) to take a look at the issue and see if it's something on our end. 

That said, I'm seeing two issues here.... One being a bunch of VSS errors.  That could cause issueswith System Restore, which depends on VSS.  So, the long wait may be due to that.

The other issue is this:
Disk 7 has the same disk identifiers as one or more disks connected to the system. Go to Microsoft's support website (http://support.microsoft.com) and search for KB2983588 to resolve the issue.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2983588/event-id-158-is-logged-for-identical-disk-guids

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27724

Sorry for the delay here.

It looks like the reason for the really long installation time is that Windows Installer is taking a very long time to check for an "in use file".  

This is not normal, and may indicate a problem on the system.  A file system filter may be the cause. 

If you could, run the StableBit Troubleshooter, and use "3405" for the Contact ID.