Simple Newbie Question

DRobare

Question

I'm new to this so here goes...

Running Plex

buying 5 Drive Bay StarTech S355Bu33ERM USB 3.0/eSata Enclosure with UASP.  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817707373

Plan on putting 12TB Drives in however only a few at a time.  

My question(s)

1.  Can Drive pool function over a Raid 5 configuration?

2. If I start of with 1 Drive, can I add later and build raid 5 over time or will the array have to be rebuild?  (Just looking for a bit of protection)

Sent an email to support.  It's been a week.  Kind of don't want to wait.

Thank you in advance.

3 answers to this question

1. You mean adding a RAID5 array to StableBit DrivePool's pool? 
    As long as it shows up as a normal disk, absolutely!
    And any "hardware" controller will do this. (show up as a normal, physical drive, that is)

2. StableBit DrivePool doesn't do parity (RAID5) itself.  It's more like a RAID10, but even that's not quite accurate. 
    That said, you can add and remove drives at any time.  And unless one or more drives is very full, it shouldn't need to rebalance (redistribute) the data. 

So again, StableBit DrivePool doesn't do parity, at all.  It's not a RAID5, but closer to RAID0/1/10, or a JBOD.  And this depends on what you've set the duplication to.

But you can use other software like SnapRAID to add parity protection, if you'd like. 

5 hours ago, DRobare said:

Sent an email to support.  It's been a week.  Kind of don't want to wait.

Unfortunately, I don't see that email or ticket.  Where did you send it at/to?

I'm biased, but enabling duplication on everything is the simplest (but maybe not cheapest) solution. 
This means that the file is ... well, duplicated and resides on two different disks.  That way, if one drive fails, the other copy should be fine.  

If you enable "pool file protection", this will enable it for the entire pool.

However, a good number of users do use snapRAID, so it may be worth checking out. 

Also, backup the data too.  Redundancy (and parity) help protect you from drive failure. But not from deletes