Regularly Getting Permission Errors on Drive Pool

Parallax Abstraction

Question

Hi all. I've been using DrivePool for quite some time now and am generally happy, near total lack of updates since I bought the software notwithstanding.

I've got a problem though that seems to be getting worse and is becoming a concern. My DrivePool is attached to a Windows 10 Pro machine I use as a home server (it was previously on an older system but it's been upgraded, this problem actually started on that one.) The majority of the time, I access the pool via shares from other systems on my network. Lately, I've had a problem where with certain folders, I can't do anything with any files contained within. Whether I try to delete, move, rename or even copy off the files in the folders, I will get told that I need permission from the administrator to perform the action, even though I am a local admin on every system on my network. Even if I connect directly to the server and try to do something, I get the same result. It makes no sense as it even happens during read operations. Sometimes, this can be corrected by rebooting the server but for a couple of folders, it's persisting. The majority of my pool does have duplication on it and these are happening on duplicated folders.

I'm a bit concerned as to what to do about this as it seems to be getting worse and has gotten really frustrating. Any ideas? Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Sadly, spoke too soon. The new beta is installed and operating but I just tried copying some files out of a folder that I previously couldn't and am getting the same behaviour. :( I was able to nuke the folder from my server directly and restored it from my Backblaze cloud backup and now it seems to be OK. Very odd.

Okay, try adding "Everyone" to the permissions on the folders/pool, and see if that helps.

To do this:

1. Right click on the pool, or folder in question.
  2. Open the "Security" tab.
  3. Click on the "Advanced" button at the bottom.
  4. Click on the "Add" button.
  5. Set the "Principal" to "Everyone", and check "Full Control", and hit "OK"
  6. Check the "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object" option underneath.
  7. Click "OK", and agree to all of the prompts that it shows.

Yes, yet another "me too" post.  I also saw an issue with permissions last month.  I had to go in and make sure "Everyone" had "Full Control" across the entire disk to fix it.  I didn't like this, but I did it.  In the end it really doesn't matter too much as no one uses the pool directly on the pool server and I control permissions to the pool through the network shares.