Folder encryption that works with drive pool?

monty77

Question

Is there a recommended way of encrypting/password protecting a folder that places nicely with drivepool?  Specifically where the pool is duplicated?

I suppose setting sharing on the folder should suffice from an access perspective but I'd still like to encrypt some data in the case of physical hard drive theft.

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

15 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

BitLocker, DiskCrypter, etc.  But these are generally "whole disk encryption". 

Otherwise, none that I know of.  Sorry. 

Thanks .. been playing with Veracrypt.  It'll encrypt volumes and file containers plus some.  Seems to play nicely with DP so far also.  Maybe that'll help someone else.

Cheers,

Adam

On 1/9/2018 at 11:05 AM, monty77 said:

Thanks .. been playing with Veracrypt.  It'll encrypt volumes and file containers plus some.  Seems to play nicely with DP so far also.  Maybe that'll help someone else.

Cheers,

Adam

I was just about to purchase the DrivePool bundle thinking I heard people say it would work with Veracrypt, but a quick check on the forums here, the Admin's seemed to suggest it wasn't compatible.  So it kind of put me off purchasing. 

After giving it more thought, I was just about to ask if DrivePool (and Scanner) would be okay working alongside Veracrypt (in that it would leave my Veracrypt encrypted drives alone outside the pool).

I guess I'll have to give the 30 day trial a go.  

Apologies for resurrecting an old threat but I just wanted to say thanks to Adam as this was useful info.

On 4/12/2020 at 4:03 PM, Master468 said:

I was just about to purchase the DrivePool bundle thinking I heard people say it would work with Veracrypt, but a quick check on the forums here, the Admin's seemed to suggest it wasn't compatible.  So it kind of put me off purchasing. 

It depends on what option you are using. 

If it creates a virtual drive, it won't work with those, since VeraCrypt is bypassing the normal disk system, which DrivePool and Scanner rely upon. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm at the point now where I need to implement a solution.

When you say 'virtual drive' please can I confirm which option in Veracrypt you are referring to... 

In the 'Volume Creation Wizard' (screenshot attached), there are the following options:

1) Create an encrypted file container - ' creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file...'
2) Encrypt a non-system partition/drive - 'Encrypts a non-system partition of nay internal or external drive...'
3) Encrypt the system partition or entire system drive - 'Encrypts the partition/drive where Windows is installed...'

I would have thought you are referring to option 2, but option 1 is the one that refers to virtual disks?  So am I incorrect and you are referring to option 1 which DrivePool will not work with?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Veracrypt Volume Creation.JPG

Sorry to resurrect this, but wanted to get some clarification as I'm looking into keeping a VeraCrypt container on my pool.

I understand that encrypting entire partitions/drives would be problematic, but what is the issue with option one above? It created a stand-alone file on the current filesystem that contains the encrypted data. I might be naive and wrong, but I always thought of it as a disk image, and you can then mount the image to read/write to the file.

ETA: It appears that someone asked this very question here: 

So we'd create an encrypted container file that can be duplicated across the pool, and mount the container to a drive when needed. The container file would have redundancy in case a drive were to die, and the data would be encrypted. Any reason why this wouldn't work?