New "Open Files" stat - more details?

DragonQ

Question

I notice the latest beta has an "Open Files" stat on the performance pane. The numbers seem to be pretty random, for example being stuck at 2 when seemingly nothing is being used, then being around 24 the next day, then jumping to 1024 playing an audio file on the pool. Resource Manager shows no disk activity on the pooled drive so I'm a bit confused about what's going on. Is there any way to see more information on this? A list of open files somewhere in the log maybe?

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

The list is generated over a small window. So it may list stuff that isn't open anymore.

As for the randomness, Windows Search may be a culprit here.  Also, Explorer may be attempting to generate thumbnails.  Etc.  
All sorts of access can generate behavior on ... well, any disk. 

And this would likely (should) be very similar to what you'd see with RESMON or Procmon or other tools. 

On 1/2/2018 at 8:18 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

The list is generated over a small window. So it may list stuff that isn't open anymore.

As for the randomness, Windows Search may be a culprit here.  Also, Explorer may be attempting to generate thumbnails.  Etc.  
All sorts of access can generate behavior on ... well, any disk. 

And this would likely (should) be very similar to what you'd see with RESMON or Procmon or other tools. 

That's kinda the reason I asked - Resource Monitor shows exactly ZERO files being open for read/write on the pool, yet DrivePool shows non-zero numbers all the time. Hence I am wondering what files it thinks are being used.