Duplicate over all disks

zizka

Question

Hi, Is it possible to set DrivePool to duplicate a folder to all disks available in the pool regardless of their number?

And another question - is it possible to set DrivePool that way, that it keeps one copy of a folder on one specific disk? For example I have 3 disks and I want one folder to be duplicated twice and one copy I need on one specific disk and the other can be on any of that two remaining disks.

5 answers to this question

Q: Hi, Is it possible to set DrivePool to duplicate a folder to all disks available in the pool regardless of their number?

A: You would have to set that folder's duplication level so that it was equal to the number of disks in the pool. For example, if your pool consisted of ten disks, you would set that folder's duplication level (number of copies) to 10.

Q: And another question - is it possible to set DrivePool that way, that it keeps one copy of a folder on one specific disk? For example I have 3 disks and I want one folder to be duplicated twice and one copy I need on one specific disk and the other can be on any of that two remaining disks.

A: Not yet. It's a planned feature. http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/208-stablebit-drivepool-controlling-folder-placement/

Hello, thanks for the answers. I would like to have a bit different behaviour:

- when I set something to duplicate over all disks, I want it independent on current number of disks. I would use it for critical data. Would there be 3 disks in the pool, the folder will be duplicated three times, but when I add another disk to pool, I want DrivePool to automatically duplicate such folder to the new disk without need to manually change the number of copies of a folder. Ideally there should be some status of disk, where it would say that it is running needed duplication and alerts me when the duplication is done.

- I've read the thread from your link and it is also a bit different approach. There is discussed that I would have to set set of disks where will be my folder duplicated. But I would like to set just one (or more, but basically one) disk that I want always to have my folder on it, the other copies can be on any other disks in the pool chosen with current balancing strategy.

- when I set something to duplicate over all disks, I want it independent on current number of disks. I would use it for critical data. Would there be 3 disks in the pool, the folder will be duplicated three times, but when I add another disk to pool, I want DrivePool to automatically duplicate such folder to the new disk without need to manually change the number of copies of a folder. Ideally there should be some status of disk, where it would say that it is running needed duplication and alerts me when the duplication is done.

You mean a "Duplicate to all disks" option here? If so, I was just thinking about the same thing and was going to mention it to Alex. It's a good idea, and would be nice to have for some things (like internal settings too)

- I've read the thread from your link and it is also a bit different approach. There is discussed that I would have to set set of disks where will be my folder duplicated. But I would like to set just one (or more, but basically one) disk that I want always to have my folder on it, the other copies can be on any other disks in the pool chosen with current balancing strategy.

You have an open ticket with us, don't you? This request definitely sounds familiar.

If so, well, I'll repeat it. Just in case you aren't who I think you are:

Ordered File Duplication will do a majority of what you want.

You mean a "Duplicate to all disks" option here? If so, I was just thinking about the same thing and was going to mention it to Alex. It's a good idea, and would be nice to have for some things (like internal settings too)

Yes, exactly. There should be a checkbox "all disks" in Enable duplication dialog which asks for entering number of copies of a folder.

You have an open ticket with us, don't you? This request definitely sounds familiar.
If so, well, I'll repeat it. Just in case you aren't who I think you are:

Ordered File Duplication will do a majority of what you want.

No, actually I don't have an open ticket with you. Ordered File Duplication does not help me. I want to be sure that one copy of selected folders is always on one specific disk. And that really is not what Ordered File Duplication does. If there is an open ticket, does it mean that this feature will be added in the future?

Well, there are a few people asking for this sort of functionality, so it may be a possibility.

And the Ordered File Placement balancer lets you fill up one disk at a time (or two+ with duplication) and lets you specify what order the disks are filled in. 

So it *may* get what you want done. Which is why I recommended it.